Saturday, May 28, 2011

Berrien County, Michigan - May 2011

Had a great ½ day of birding in Berrien County, Michigan in late May, thanks to excellent help from several local birders.  This is a great location in the southwest corner of the state, which features a number of “southern” birds that just barely make it to Michigan. 

My first stop was at 2:30 PM near I-94 Exit 1 at the fields at Maudlin and Kinst Rds.  Unfortunately no Grasshopper or Henslow’s Sparrows there, though I did have a Willow Flycatcher and Bobolinks.  On the north side of Maudlin I heard and then saw a first-year male Orchard Oriole – MI state bird #1. 

Next stop was Forest Lawn Road where I got at least 4 Louisiana Waterthrushes, a singing Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, and 2 Canada Warblers – 3 more state birds.  Other notables were an Acadian Flycatcher, an Olive-sided Flycatcher, a couple Yellow-throated Warblers, a Cerulean Warbler, nest building Yellow Warbler, and a RT Hummingbird carrying nesting material.  This is such a great spot!

Then onto the Three Oaks sewage ponds for a quick stop.  Although I wasn’t expecting much, the south pond level was low with a mudflat that had 2 Dunlins (new statebird), a Pectoral, 2 Spotteds, and 2 Semi Sands.  A Wood Duck and 3 Ruddy Ducks were also there.

Mill Road was next to try for the Dickcissels recently reported by Kip Miller - I heard and saw several.  More Bobolinks and singing Savannah Sparrows there too but still no Grasshoppers.

Next was a stop at the New Troy Cemetery based on another “tip by Kip”.  The Red-shouldered Hawk nest was right where Kip said to look, but I didn’t find any Pine Warblers – just lots of singing Chipping Sparrows.

Although time was waning, then went on to the south end of Warren Dunes State Park where earlier in the day Worm-eating Warblers and Summer Tanagers were reported.  I found one male Summer Tanager along with several Scarlets, but no luck on the Worm-eating.  Then up to the dunes west of the campground where a Prairie Warbler cooperated though after a good 20 minutes of effort.  Another Olive-sided Flycatcher was there too.

Next stop was at Floral Lane, which was not too surprisingly pretty slow at 7 PM.  A couple Canada Warblers and a Swainson’s Thrush were the only birds of interest.

Last daylight stop was on the road to Lincoln Town Beach where I had an Alder Flycatcher – another tip by Kip!

Final stop was at Troy Road to try for the nightjars that had been reported recently – and a tremendous stop it was.  First a pair of nighthawks came by.  Then a Woodcock started its display right overhead.  Then a Whip-Poor-Will started calling loud enough that it almost drowned out the Chuck-Will’s-Widow, but not quite.

That gave me 12 new statebirds for my Michigan list which is now 232, 16 over the ABA threshold.  And I ended up with 97 species for the day – tremendous given that I didn’t even get to Michigan till mid afternoon!  I certainly had some misses like Veery, Grasshopper Sparrow, and Henslow’s Sparrow, though the misses of course always give me reasons to come back.  Again many thanks to the local Michigan birders for their tremendous advice.

I’ve copied in below my statebird map for Dickcissel (shaded states are those where I’ve seen this species).  I’ve seen it in most central states, along with a number in the northeast as this bird continues to expand in that direction.  Plus I’ve chased after it successfully as a reasonably regular vagrant in all 6 New England states. 


No comments:

Post a Comment