Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Baird's Sandpiper, Connecticut, August 2011

For some time Baird's Sandpiper has been one of the most common birds I still need for my Connecticut list; a nemesis bird of sorts for me in CT.  For instance, last summer I chased after one at Rocky Meadows just south of Hartford without success, even though it had been quite reliable.  So this year I had planned to track the listserve posts closely to watch for any reliable Baird's that I could chase after.  A few weeks ago a Baird's showed up at Rocky Meadows – definitely close enough to chase but just a one-day wonder.  But then 2 were reported in East Hartford at a runoff retention pond at a Cabela’s outfitter store – a bit less than 2 hours away so definitely feasible to chase.  Although I had read a number of posts regarding birds at Cabela’s over the years, I had never been there before.  So after getting excellent directions from a CT birder, I headed down there to give it a go. 

When I arrived, I was shocked to see how small the pond was – just an acre or two.  And since you could walk right up to the pond, it should be relatively easy to find the Baird’s and see every bird at the pond.  Another birder was already there, but had not yet found any Baird’s.  Undeterred, I made a quick survey around the pond and found several Least’s, but no other peeps.  Then a slower search revealed 8 Leasts, 3 Spotteds, 1 Solitary, and many Killdeer, but still no Baird’s.  Another scan came up with the same birds.  It was easy to see every square inch of mud around the pond, so we couldn’t have missed the Baird’s.  Was I going to be skunked again?  Decided to give it one more scan before heading out, and amazingly, there was a Baird’s right at the edge of the mudflats!  Where was it on my prior scans?  Maybe it just flew in or was walking in the surrounding grassy field and had just made its way to the mud.  In any case, a new CT statebird - #293.  I was able to get a couple phone-scoped photos inserted below – one from the back and one from the front.



My statebird map for Baird's is below.  Baird's is my 205th species that I've seen in all 6 New England states.

No comments:

Post a Comment