Saturday, September 17, 2011

Brown Pelican, Sooty Tern and More, Coastal Rhode Island, Sep 11 (Irene Post #3)

After 2 days of birding in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene and 3 new statebirds, it was tough to go back to work.  Especially with all the sightings of storm-blown birds still occurring, primarily from the CT and RI coastlines.  Numerous southern terns (Gull-billed and Sandwich) and tropical terns (a few Sootys) were seen daily, along with a few immature pelicans.  Then 1 more post of great birds on the RI coast (red-necked phalarope, pelican and sandwich tern) pushed me over the edge.  So I called Denny Abbott and we planned a day on the RI coast on Thursday, 4 days after the storm.  But did we wait too long?

I targeted starting at Moonstone Beach, because seemingly reliable red-necked phalaropes were nearby at Mud Pond, and many of the terns were being sighted on the coast there.  We arrived mid-morning and started scanning Mud Pond for the phalaropes.  Although they had been reliable for several days, we had no luck.  Rather disappointing – I was counting on that one.  Maybe they were tucked away in a portion of the Card's Pond wetlands that wasn’t visible. 

We then walked to Moonstone Beach and began to scan the water.  Within a minute of our arrival I saw an adult Brown Pelican quite close flying to the west paralleling the beach.  I think all the other pelicans reported after Irene had been immatures.  That was not only a statebird for me, but a key target of Denny’s, since he needed it for all the New England states.  Amazingly, birders to the west undoubtedly saw this same bird about 10 minutes later.  Reinvigorated, I kept scanning the waters to the south.  Numerous Common Terns were flying by, but nothing better.  Then I picked up a distant dark phase Jaeger.  Although very far out, you could see the characteristic flight and shape of a Jaeger.  I put it down as a Parastic because that is by far the most likely jaeger, but realistically I could not eliminate Pomarine.  Unfortunately it was too far away to get Denny on this bird.  Two statebirds for me! 

After some local scanning of the beach and nearby marsh at Card's Pond, I went back to scanning the ocean.  After a while I picked up a tern that wasn’t nearly as far out as the Jaeger, though distant.  All I could see was dark – no pale feathering anywhere.  I got Denny on this bird, and we watched it for several minutes.  It had a strong flight, and based on when it passed by a Herring Gull, was a mid-sized tern.  Denny and I spent a lot of time thinking about this bird afterwards, and came to the conclusion that it was an immature Sooty Tern.  Although an immature Sooty does have pale feathering on the belly, we felt that it was not feasible to see the light feathers at that distance.  And although most of the Sootys that were seen after Irene were adults, there were a few other immatures reported.  Statebird #3 for me and #2 for Denny!

After another hour or so, we left the beach and tried Mud Pond one more time for the phalaropes.  No luck again, though an adult Little Blue Heron had arrived.  We decided to drive over to Camp Cronin to check out the jetties there.  On a whim I decided to head east on Matunuck Schoolhouse Road instead of heading north on Moonstone Beach Road.  Wasn’t sure exactly how to get to Camp Cronin, so I was watching my map app on my I-Phone as we headed east on Matunuck.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw something white through the hedgerow in the field next to the road.  I pulled over, and through the brush I saw a herd of cows and a Cattle Egret.  Boy was I lucky – an extra second looking at the map and I would have missed it.  Plus, we almost took Moonstone Beach Road instead.  Statebird #4!  Not likely related to Irene though.  The Cattle Egret stuck around at this site for several days, with several birders spotting it.  Cattle Egrets are rather regular in RI in the Spring, with a number of posts coming from the Jamestown area most years.  But this is the first one I can remember in the fall.

Camp Cronin had lots of birds on the jetties, but they were way too distant.  At one point I went down to the beach to get a different angle, while Denny remained at the parking lot.  When I returned Denny said he thought he had a Gill-billed Tern fly right overhead.  Unfortunately I missed it.

Our last stop was at Watch Hill Point in Westerly.  After a brisk 30-minute walk I made it to the point where there was a nice collection of shorebirds including 1 Buff-breasted Sandpiper, 26 Knots, and 12 Oystercatchers, but no terns at all.  So no new statebirds there, but some good RI birds anyway.

An amazing day with 4 new RI statebirds, at least 2 of which were associated with Irene!

My statebird maps for Brown Pelican, Sooty Tern, and Cattle Egret are inserted below.  I’ve seen Brown Pelican in all the Pacific and Gulf states (plus inland at AZ), and on the Atlantic up to New Jersey.  And now of course RI.  The Sooty Tern map is now complete for post-Irene sightings – RI and MA this year plus the older FL and TN sightings.  And as for Cattle Egret, I’ve seen it throughout the southeast and much of the east, with a scattering of states in the interior west and midwest.  And now all the New England states – the 206th species I’ve seen in all 6 New England states.



No comments:

Post a Comment