Sunday, January 29, 2012

Harris’s Sparrow, Connecticut, January 2012

Early in January a Harris’s Sparrow was found in southeastern CT in the town of Lebanon.  Due to heavy work commitments throughout most of January I couldn’t get away to try for it till late in the month.  So I crossed my fingers that it would remain for a while, and I continued to save all the posts with the micro-directions and suggestions.  Then I started to read that a local birder was putting seed out for it, so I was optimistic it would stay put for a while.

Finally with a small window to chase after it, I left in the early morning to make the 2-hour trek to the location.  When I arrived another birder was there and he reported he had seen it a few times already that morning.  So I just stood quietly and watched the area where the seed had been put on the ground.  After about a 30-minute wait it arrived and fed on the ground, along with lots of White-throats, Songs, and Tree Sparrows.  What a handsome bird.

I then drove up to the Windsor, CT landfill for my second try at Thayer’s Gull (one had been seen there earlier in the week).  No luck with the Thayer’s but 2 first-year Icelands were a nice consolation.

My statebird map for Harris's Sparrow is provided below.  Although Harris' is a common wintering bird in the central and southern plains, it is a frequent vagrant across the country.  I've now seen it in more states as a vagrant (7) than in its typical wintering range (4).



No comments:

Post a Comment