Saturday, February 11, 2012

Snowy Owl, Sachuest Point NWR, RI, February 2012

The 2011-2012 winter has been a big one for Snowy Owls – the biggest one in New England in a long time.  So this winter would be my best chance yet to try to get Snowy Owl in my last 3 New England states – Maine (which I got in Dec. 2011), RI, and VT.  Sachuest Point NWR has traditionally been one of the best locations for Snowy Owl in RI, so it wasn’t too surprising when one was reported there during much of the winter, at a spot called Island Rocks.  Although the bird is likely there all the time, it can easily roost out of view on the far side of the islands, so some luck is needed.

My first visit there was unsuccessful – though the bird was seen there later in the day.  On my second trip, I arrived in the early morning and started to scan the rocky islands with my binocs.  I quickly saw a white bump on top of one of the islands.  Even with a 50x scope view, it was little more than a bump, but very likely the owl.  But within a few seconds of viewing, there was some movement and the bird turned its head toward me – a positive ID for a Snowy Owl.  A phonescoped photo is attached with the scope at 30X – you'll need to zoom in to see much of anything.


My Snowy Owl statebird map is below.  Pretty spotty coverage for this northern irruptive, but now 5 of 6 New England states.  Now I just need to see one in VT - which is most likely in the northwest corner of the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment