Saturday, March 3, 2012

Red Crossbill, Red-Throated Loon, and Canvasback, Vermont, February 2012

Some of the best birding in VT is in the Champlain Valley in the northwest part of the state, which is a 3-4 hour drive from home.  So I don’t get there often, and when I do it’s usually because I have multiple statebird targets to justify the long drive.  And that’s exactly what happened in February.  First there were regular reports of Red Crossbills which were apparently nesting and very reliable in Woodstock.  Then came reports of 4 Canvasbacks in a large flock of 6,000 waterfowl on Lake Champlain in Addison – though they were not located on each visit especially recently.  Then came a report of a Short-eared Owl in a large field complex in Addison.  That was enough to exceed my “activation energy” to plan the trip.  And then a couple days before my trip 2 Red-throated Loons were reported from Lake Champlain in Charlotte.  More than enough to justify the long trip.  But had I waited too long for the Crossbills and Canvasbacks?

I arrived in Woodstock at 8:30 at the parking lot of the MBR Park, where Red Crossbills had been seen for over a month.  A couple Siskins were calling in the distance, but no Crossbills.  I tried playing some tape but with no luck.  I was just about to start hiking out on the trails into the pine grove when I heard one giving it’s kip-kip-kip call.  It passed directly overhead, and I got OK views with my binocs.  That was my only view in an hour there – not the best but good enough for a new statebird.

Then over to the DAR Park in Addison.  There certainly were many ducks – easily 6,000 Scaup of both species and Goldeneye.  In 90 minutes of scanning I also picked out 5 White-winged Scoters, 1 Surf Scoter, 1 Long-tailed Duck, 2 Redheads, and 2 Ring-necked Ducks, but no Canvasbacks.  At least a third of the flock moved to the south out of view – did I miss the Cans? 

Then off to Charlotte and the Town Beach to try for Loons.  Earlier in the week 2 Red-throateds and numerous Commons were reported, along with 150 Horned Grebes, but the birder stressed that the water was flat calm.  When I arrived the first thing I noticed was whitecaps out to the horizon – not the best.  In my first 30 minutes of scanning I picked out 21 Horned Grebes as little specks between the waves, but no loons.  Then a bit later I spotted a larger bird on the water – a grayer loon with upturned bill – a Red-throated.  Only saw it for about 10 seconds before it dove – never to be seen again.  Later I picked out 2 Common Loons though again only briefly before they dove.  Statebird #2.

Then back to DAR State Park for a second view of the big flock of ducks.  This time there were more ducks in view.  After a few minutes I picked out a drake Canvasback in the throng.  Statebird #3.

Last stop of the day was Otter Creek Road in Addison.  A great spot surrounded by farm fields, some marshy areas, and woodlands.  Because there was so much possible feeding area for a Short-ear, I’d have to be really lucky to see one in the waning light.  Unfortunately I didn’t see one, but still had a great time with 2 Turkeys walking across one of the fields, 2 Harriers, 1 Rough-legged Hawk (dark phase), a Saw-whet Owl calling (the first I’ve had singing spontaneously in a long time), 50+ Horned Larks, and 10 Lapland Longspurs that landed next to me in the field.  Then there were the Snow Buntings – a flock of many hundreds in a distant field.  At one point they flew into the sky with dark clouds in the background and I thought it was a snow squall!  Only when I put the binocs on them did I see that it was birds and not snow. 

I ended the day with 19 species of waterfowl, and 9 Rough-leggs (6 light phase, 3 dark phase), plus a flock of 46 Bohemian Waxwings.  I never can see enough Bohemians!  And of course 3 statebirds.  VT was my last New England tick for all 3.  That gives me 212 species that I’ve seen in all 6 states. 

My statebirds maps for these species show three different stories.  I’ve seen Red-Throated Loon in every Atlantic and Pacific coast state.  And now VT is my third landlocked state.  As for Red Crossbill, I’ve seen it in various mostly montane and boreal states across the country, plus as an irruptive in MD.  Then there’s the Canvasback, which is pretty easy to find wherever there are diving ducks - and finally in VT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment