Monday, November 12, 2012

Allen’s Hummingbird, Great Barrington, MA, November 2012

For a few weeks a Selasphorus hummingbird had been coming to a feeder in Great Barrington in western MA.  Although it was originally thought to be a Rufous, a bander was called in to band it and be sure of the ID.  After reviewing the measurements it turned out to be a hatch-year male Allen’s Hummingbird.  There sure aren’t many records of Allen’s in MA.  The last one was one on the Cape a couple years ago which I missed by a day due to some poor planning on my part.  So I was happy to have a second chance to try for this very rare bird in MA.

While en route I got a call from the homeowner who said the bird was seen that morning, coming in every 20 minutes or so.  So I was cautiously optimistic when I arrived at 9:20.  At about 9:50 I saw it fly in to perch on a nearby shrub, then it fed briefly at the feeder, before flying off as it was chased away by a chickadee.  About 10 minutes later it flew back in, drank for quite a while, then perched in view in a nearby shrub for several minutes.  This was a strikingly colorful Selasphorus, including a few colorful feathers in the gorget.  Wish I could have gotten a picture.

That was my 421st species in New England.  The only other place I’ve seen Allen’s Hummingbird is southern CA.  Though I have also seen it on Santa Cruz Island which might well be a different species. 


No comments:

Post a Comment