Saturday, October 26, 2013

Wheatear in South Kingstown, Rhode Island, October, 2013



Several years ago I chased after a Wheatear at a sod farm in Rhode Island.  The bird had been around for over a week when I was final able to get to the area.  Unfortunately I was there the first day it was not seen.  So of course Wheatear in Rhode Island has been a key target for me ever since.

Fast forward to 2013 – a Wheatear was found at Peckham Farm in South Kingstown the day of my VT pelagic trip (see my earlier post).  Although I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to skip the excellent pelagic trip to be able to go for the Wheatear, I sure hoped it would stick around so I could do after it later.  And sure enough the bird was seen again the next day, so I was off to southern RI for my second attempt at Wheatear in the Ocean State.

I arrived at Peckham Farm and saw a birder walking toward me.  He had just had the bird at the south end of the complex, so I got back in the car and drove to the south where there were several cars and birders with scopes.  There was the bird – feeding on the ground.  Interestingly this site turned out to be a sod farm complex just like the location of the first RI Wheatear I chased after.  Luckily the results were better this time.

I’ve now seen Wheatear in 5 New England states plus Alaska (see my statebird map below).  And Wheatear was number 310 for me in RI.  


No comments:

Post a Comment