Saturday, April 5, 2014

Golden Eagle in Vernon, VT AND Hinsdale, NH, March 2014



A few years ago I missed the one and only record of Pink-footed Goose in NH, a bird in spring migration in the Connecticut River valley.  Ever since, I’ve watched the reports of the spring goose migration in New England in hopes of being around for the next NH record, and/or maybe the first record for VT.  So I was of course very excited to read posts of a Pink-footed being seen in MA in the Connecticut River valley.  After all, it has to go through NH or VT on the next leg of its migration, right?  That same day there was a post from Hector Galbraith of 3,000 Canada Geese in Vernon, VT right along the Connecticut River, just about 25 miles to the north as the Pink-footed Goose flies.  So there was great habitat for the target goose in VT should it decide to head north.  The next morning I checked the MA listserve and read an early morning post that the Pink-footed was not being seen in MA.  Minutes later I was heading out the door to hopefully find the first record of Pink-footed Goose in VT.

By the time I got to the cornfields in Vernon there was another post that the bird was being seen again in MA, so at least that one wasn’t going to be feasible in VT that day.  Maybe there would be others to look for.  Unfortunately, I didn’t see any geese of any type in the fields.  So I called Hector who suggested trying for them above the dam in Vernon.  He also told me to keep an eye out for the Golden Eagle he had seen the day before.  Although I read about it in his post, I didn’t really think that it might be a target since they are frequently one-day wonders.  But Hector thought it might not have been migrating through, and could actually stick around with all the ducks and geese as eagle food in the area.

When I got to the dam I ran into James Smith and another birder he was with, and we walked down to the water’s edge where we found at least 1,000 Canada Geese.  Despite our efforts we found nothing else of interest.  The three of us then went to another spot north of the dam but only had a few more geese there.  James then went down to the cornfields to chase down a Carolina Wren I had there earlier, and I decided to go back to the dam to try there again.  Just as I was arriving at the dam I got a call from Hector – James had just called him to say he had the Golden Eagle at the Carolina Wren spot, the same general area where Hector had the bird the day before.  It took me just 5 minutes to get where James was, but by then the bird had disappeared.  He said it was being dive-bombed by a Red-tail, and then took a steep dive down toward the river and out of sight.  I joked with James that since we were within a few feet of the NH/VT line, maybe I could get the Eagle for both statelists (I’ve never seen Golden Eagle in any New England state).  Though I lamented that it would be more likely that I wouldn’t get it in either state.  But since there were no rare geese to chase, I may as well spend some time looking for the Eagle.  So I selected a spot with a good view of the sky in most every direction, and started my vigil.

In the next 2 hours I had quite a number of birds fly by, but no Golden Eagle.  At one point I got really excited when an adult Bald Eagle came into view until I realized it was right size but wrong species.  A distant Peregrine Falcon was nice, as were several Ravens both in VT and in NH.  And several Red-tails and Turkey Vultures were visible in both states as well.  I also had a number of singing landbirds like Red-bellied Woodpecker, Tufted Titmouse, and Cardinal – none of which would have been in this area a few decades ago.  A bit later Hector arrived to join me in the search.  Just minutes after he set up his scope we noticed a distant flock of 500+ Canada Geese to the south coming our way.  I put my binocs on the flock and noticed a very distant pair of raptors up above the geese – one was dive-bombing the other, and they were two different sizes.  Could this be the Golden Eagle?  I put my scope on it, and even though it was at least a mile away to the SSE, I could see the tail was white with a dark terminal band, there were white patches at the base of the primaries, and flat wings – it was the Golden Eagle.  Hector was on it too, and we both agreed it was in VT air space.  We watched it as it lazily made its way toward us traveling NNE.  As it got closer it eventually was almost directly east of us, and we both agreed it was now over Hinsdale, NH.  A little later we lost it behind some trees, and we gave each other high fives in celebration of some excellent sightings.  I can’t thank James Smith enough for trying to contact me about refinding the bird, and then Hector Galbraith for contacting me with the latest report.

This was my third time that I’ve been able to get two different state ticks by seeing one individual bird.  The first time was a Common Raven over the NC/TN state line in the Smoky Mountains.  The second time was right in this same spot in Vernon where I watched a group of four Cackling Geese fly back and forth between VT and NH.  It’s not important where you are standing – it’s where the bird is located that counts.

Golden Eagle was species number 424 for me in New England, and number 351 in NH and 260 in VT.  These two ticks give me 1,963 in the 6 New England states - I’m closing in on my 2,000 goal!  And my 9 New England ticks through March 2014 are an excellent pace so far.  I now have Golden Eagle in 4 Eastern states, where it can be a difficult bird to find, along with many of its regular states out west.




No comments:

Post a Comment