Saturday, June 14, 2014

Northwestern South Dakota Grasslands – 22 New State Birds, May 2014



Each year I take an extended birding vacation somewhere to work on my various statelists, and hopefully move a step closer to my lifelong goal of reaching the old ABA reportable goals in each of the lower 48 states and DC.  Way back in February when I started to think about where to go this year, my thoughts kept coming back to MT and ND because those were my last 2 states where I had very small lists.  And then when I realized that several possible birding locations would put me only a short drive from SD, I considered a short extension to work on that list as well.  I had a respectable 181 in SD, though had never birded the northwest corner of the state where many of the grassland species breed, so I had a fair potential there as well.

There was no SD birdfinding guide to consult, so I reached out to the SD listserve for advice.  I got several very helpful replies, including one from Dave Swanson who was in the process of writing a guide for SD.  He sent me drafts of siteguides for two sites in the area which were most helpful.  I also was able to connect with Charlie Miller who was the local expert for birds in the area.  In addition to his excellent local knowledge, he was also known for the Saw-whet Owl nesting boxes he had constructed and mounted to trees in the Custer National Forest.  He offered to bird with me in the area, and take me to see the owls.  So I set up a plan for a short trek into SD consisting of two half days, with a goal of adding at least 15 birds to my statelist. 

Day 8 – PM – Custer National Forest and Locations en Route to Lemmon

I entered SD after a successful morning in Rhame Prairie in ND, and soon met up with Charlie.  Our first stop was in the Picnic Spring and Cave Hills portion of the Custer National Forest.  This area is an elevated island of ponderosas and deciduous trees that rises out of the prairie.  Soon after we arrived we had a Say’s Phoebe perched on a cliff edge (statebird #1), and a singing Lazuli Bunting (#2).  We then hiked around in the area a bit and I was lucky enough to spot a soaring Golden Eagle (#3 – and the only one on my trip), and then a cooperative Mountain Bluebird (#4).  I added Mountain Bluebird to all 3 states on my trip, so I have now seen this species throughout most all of its regular range (see my statebird map below).


Birding was a bit slow – it was a hot afternoon – so we got in the cars and headed a bit south and were surprised to spot a lone Avocet (#5) in a small pond.  Charlie then took me to a cliff where Prairie Falcons had nested last year.  And sure enough, they were back again this year (#6).  Couldn’t have gotten these without Charlie’s local knowledge. 

We were then headed to Gardner Lake, principally to try for Brewer’s Sparrow in the sage along the lake entrance road.  But I mentioned to Charlie that I needed some shorebirds for my SD list, so along the way he took me to a small pond where he had seen some recent shorebirds including Avocets that morning.  The Avocets were gone (good thing we saw that one earlier), but we had a few distant shorebirds that had not been there that morning.  In with the Stilt Sandpipers was a Semi Sand (#7) and a Pectoral (#8).  We then headed to Gardner Lake and started to play some tape in the sage area.  It took a while, but eventually we noticed a small sparrow fly in just a short distance away.  And then the Brewer’s Sparrow popped up for a quick view (#9).  Charlie suggested a quick stop at the lake just to see what might be around.  In addition to the regular dabblers, there were 8 Aechmophorus grebes.  The first seven were Westerns, and the 8th kept diving and didn’t give me good views.  I told Charlie that it was most unlikely that this would be a Clark’s but I wanted to be sure.  And just then it surfaced and stayed up long enough to give me a good scope view – it was indeed a Clark’s Grebe (#10).  That was a surprise.  Along with my sighting in MT, I now have pretty good coverage for this species.


We then headed to the Slim Buttes portion of the Custer NF, which is where Charlie had his Saw-whet boxes.  By far the highlight of the SD part of the trip was when Charlie took me to 2 boxes with active Saw-whet nests.  In each case the female was poking her head from the box when we arrived (#11). 


Charlie needed to monitor the status of the young, and when he opened the box the female would fly out and sit just a short distance away while the box was opened as in this photo taken with my iPhone.


The last new statebird was a not so cooperative Rock Wren that only called once (#12) from some seemingly nice cliff habitat.  Other notable birds were the only 2 Western Tanagers of the trip and a colony of White-throated Swifts (also the only ones for the trip). 

I thanked Charlie for all his help and started the drive northeast to my motel in Lemmon.  Along the way I was driving through some nice cropland and flushed a pair of Gray Partridges and then another one (#13).  That was only my 5th state for this species that has been elusive for me in the past, though I saw it several times on this trip.


And later I passed by a flooded field with several Marbled Godwits acting like shorebirds instead of prairie nesters (#14).  It was another excellent end of the day.

Day 9 – Morning in the Grand River National Grasslands

When I came out to the car at dawn the ground was wet from a little rain overnight.  Plus the sky to the west and north was extremely dark and I could see numerous lightning strikes.  I didn’t know it at the time but just 8 hours earlier a rare tornado had hit the town of Watford City just about 150 miles northwest of Lemmon.  The clouds I was seeing were undoubtedly part of the same storm system that caused the tornado.

My first quick stop was to check Flat Creek Lake along SR73 for waterfowl and I found a pair of Buffleheads (#15) along with the normal dabblers.  I then headed east into the grasslands at Pasture 7, and as soon as I crossed into the National Grasslands there were numerous Chestnut-collared Longspurs right in the road as if to greet me (#16).  And a short distance farther I stopped and heard the first of many Baird’s Sparrows I had that morning (#17).  Baird’s was a key target of mine on this trip and I heard and/or saw it numerous times in all 3 states.  Although SD was only my 4th state for this species, I’ve now seen it in virtually all of its regular breeding and wintering range in the US.


It was also amazing how many Upland Sandpipers there were – 5 or more per mile.  With two key grassland targets out of the way I headed to a spot where a Sharp-tailed Grouse lek was supposed to be located.  Along the way I stopped briefly at a wet grassy area where a Sedge Wren was singing (#18).  And on the other side of the road was a singing Dickcissel which was a good bird for this location, though not a statebird.  I eventually got to the lek spot and sure enough there was 1 Sharp-tailed Grouse sitting on the crest of the hill (#19). 

Next stop was Lemmon Lake on the east side of the Grassland to try for my last missing waterfowl – Canvasback.  As I was getting closer to the lake I looked back to the west and the clouds were getting more ominous, and the lightning more frequent.  Plus there was this odd low white cloud that was in front of the dark clouds called a roll cloud. 


In any case, the lake was at least 8 miles from paved roads, and I didn’t want to be too far out on the dirt roads if a rain storm should hit.  So I only made a quick stop at the lake and left as soon as I spotted 2 male Canvasbacks (#20).  On the way back to the main road I had one singing Sprague’s Pipit (#21), heard more Baird’s Sparrows, found another Sharp-tailed Grouse lek, had numerous Upland Sandpipers, a few Marbled Godwits, and many longspurs.  It was quite a spot for prairie birds.  I now have Sprague’s in all 3 of its nesting states and 2 states where it is a winterer or migrant.

 
The last stops were to the west to Shadehill Reservoir and the campground at the Hugh Glass Recreation Area.  With one brief stop there didn’t appear to be much on the lake, so I headed directly to the campground.  Migration was pretty much over by now, so I wasn’t surprised that I didn’t have many migrants in the woods and brush around the campground.  Though eventually I ran into a small group of Empids which looked like Willows.  Then one started to sing a good Alder Flycatcher song (#22) which is pretty far west of its normal migration route.  I reported the others as “Traill’s” Flycatchers as who knows which species these silent birds were.  My statebird map for Alder is pretty spotty at least partly due to the fact that these birds are frequently silent during migration.

  
As I was heading out of the campground I heard what I thought was a Lazuli Bunting singing.  It was close to the road so I made a quick stop to track it down and realized it was a Lazuli x Indigo hybrid.  The upper chest was blue instead of rusty red with just a couple rusty feathers on the sides, and the belly was white.  Pretty neat bird on my last stop in SD before heading back into ND.


I tallied 111 species in two half days of birding in SD, including 22 new statebirds.  That gives me 203 for my SD statelist - my 46th state over 200.  And of course I’m closing in on the ABA threshold of 216.  I still need a number of eastern birds in SD, so I’m thinking that a trip to the eastern edge of the state in spring migration might be enough to reach and then exceed the reporting threshold.

No comments:

Post a Comment