Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Pomarine Jaeger, RI Pelagic, September, 2014



Most of my birding efforts in off-shore RI waters have been limited to several rides on the ferry to and from Block Island – I’ve called them “poor man’s pelagic trips”.  Then last year I found out that there is a whale watch company in RI, and took one mid-summer whale watch trip.  That’s not to say I haven’t tried to go on real pelagics out of RI.  I think I’ve signed-up for no less than 4 pelagic trips organized by local birder Carlos Pedro, though each one has been cancelled by weather or mechanical issues.  But despite limited opportunities I’ve done pretty well in RI, getting the four typical Shearwaters (Great, Cory’s, Sooty, and the less likely Manx), and the expected Wilson’s Storm-Petrel along with the rarer Leach’s Storm-Petrel.  Alcids have been limited to Razorbills and Common Murres, seen both from shore and on one winter Block Island trip.  And even with one very distant Parasitic Jaeger I’ve seen from shore, I have lots of potential pelagic statebirds to hope for.  As a result I jumped at the opportunity to go on a pelagic trip scheduled in late September by the newly formed Ocean State Bird Club.  With good weather predicted, it looked like I would finally get on a RI pelagic.

With hopes of seeing Jaegers and Phalaropes (and dare I say even rarer species), I arrived at the dock in Galilee quite early.  There were a number of fishermen milling about with their gear and coolers, all eventually boarding the larger boats of the Frances Fleet.  As the birders started to arrive we soon realized we had been relegated to one of the smaller boats, which was likely not going to be fast enough to chase after anything.  And since the boat was small it’s a good thing that seas were predicted to only be 1-3 feet. 

We left the dock at 7 and started motoring SE towards deeper water.  Soon after we left the harbor an adult Gannet passed close by followed by several more individuals.  Then a few minutes later I noticed a large dark bird flying near the boat.  I quickly got it in my binoculars and it was an adult Jaeger.  It passed right by our bow, and several birders got photographs.  We all agreed that it was a Parasitic – not a new statebird but certainly a much better view than the one I had from shore a couple years ago.  This was a great start well before we had reached Block Island. 

A bit later we turned a bit more to the east to head toward a large number of fishing boats.  Included in the group was a trawler that had just hauled in its nets.  As we neared the trawler we could see a fair-sized flock of gulls on the water, and lots of dead bait fish floating on the surface.  It was sobering to see all these fish killed in the trawler’s nets and then just cast overboard.  We waited in the area quite a while, and eventually saw one Cory’s Shearwater join the gull flock, but that was all.  We then headed farther southeast to another group of boats, but just found a few gulls there. 

As the day progressed we continued to search for pelagic birds with no success.  Late in the day we made our way back to the initial group of fishing boats and threw out chum.  Eventually a few gulls joined us.  Then some time later a birder yelled – “Jaeger!”.  It quickly passed by the boat, and a few minutes later it made another pass.  This was an adult bird, which I instantly thought had a heavier body and slower wingbeats than a Parasitic.  We compared notes afterwards and agreed that this one was a Pomarine Jaeger.  With no other pelagic birds in site, we headed back to shore soon afterwards. 

With respect to numbers of pelagic birds, this turned out to be my slowest ever pelagic trip.  In fact it was even slower than any of the whale watches I’ve been on.  I saw just 1 Parasitic and 1 Pomarine Jaeger, 1 Cory’s Shearwater, and about 10 Gannets.  Though with a new RI statebird I’m not complaining. 

Pomarine Jaeger was RI statebird number 315 for me, and my eight state for this species (see my statebird map below).  This was statebird number 1,985 in New England - I’m closing in on my goal of 2,000. 


No comments:

Post a Comment