Sunday, May 3, 2015

Swallow-tailed Kite, Hope Valley, RI, April 2015



April and May is definitely the time to hope for Swallow-tailed Kites out on Cape Cod, especially on the outer Cape.  And though they are seen there most years (9 of the last 13 based on eBird reports), they are still quite a rarity.  So it was quite notable when four Swallow-tailed Kites were reported together on Cape Cod in April 13th, and likely at least one of these birds was respotted at several locations on the Cape a few days later.  I’ve never even tried for Swallow-tails on the Cape because they are not typically chaseable – usually only providing fleeting glimpses over a hawk watch, or just a flyover somewhere if you were lucky enough to be looking up at the time. 

And Swallow-tailed Kites are an extreme rarity in RI.  There was only one sighting listed on eBird – 1 on 5/15/13 at Swan Point Cemetery in Providence.  That is before this year.  Midday on a Wednesday in mid-April came a post that a pair of Kites were seen over Hope Valley in southwestern RI – even though they were apparently first seen early that day.  At first I thought about heading out to try for them, but Swallow-tailed Kites don’t typically stick around.  And they only continued at this spot for a couple more hours that day, so I felt like I made the right decision.  They were probably long gone – a one day wonder.  Though I wish I had gotten the news earlier in the day.

I checked the listserves a few times while at work on Thursday just in case they might still be in the area.  A couple negative posts came across in the morning so I thought the Kites were certainly gone.  But then a positive post came in just before lunch.  I would love to try to chase after them, but the rest of my day was a busy one and I wouldn’t be able to break free.  I could take the morning off on Friday, but would they continue?  I would normally think that they wouldn’t stick around that long, but if they were in the area for two days in a row, maybe they would still be around for a third day. 

Virtually all of the sightings had been from the URE parking lot in Hope Valley.  It seemed that this spot just happened to have a wide view of the sky, so many birders just camped out there and waited and hoped for them to fly by.  But then late Thursday came news that they were also seen feeding much of the day at a mill pond nearby.  So if that was their preferred feeding area, that could greatly increase my odds of finding the birds on Friday.  And even though I heard that they were last seen on Thursday at about 3 PM, I still decided to give them a try on Friday morning.

I arrived at the URE parking lot about 8 AM and started to get my bearings.  This spot did give a pretty good view of the sky, and was situated between a large lake to the north and the smaller mill pond to the south.  So it could be a pretty good location if the Kites were passing between these 2 possible feeding spots.  But of course they would have to be pretty high up in the sky to see them.  I next went down to the mill pond to check out their feeding spot from yesterday.  There was already another birder there who had not spotted them yet.  We decided to trade cell phone numbers, and I would go back to the URE parking lot while he stayed at the mill pond to double our chances of finding them. 

Back at URE I had several flyovers of an Osprey which got me excited, as did a Cooper’s Hawk, and a Raven flyover was a good RI bird.  But there were no Kites.  About 9:30 I was joined by a couple MA birders who had missed the birds by minutes the day before.  Just then I noticed a raptor high in the sky to the northwest.  I put my binoculars on it and it was a Swallow-tailed Kite!  I got the other birders on it and we watched it soar high off to the southwest and out of view.  Certainly not great looks but diagnostic. 

I quickly called the birder at the mill pond and he said he was about to call me – he had a pair of Swallow-tails just then low over the pond.  That meant there were 3 Kites in the area, though earlier birders never found more than 2.  I jumped in my car to see his birds and as I neared the pond there were his two Swallow-tails right overhead.  I hopped out and they were no more than 30 feet over my head.  I was able to get this picture with just my iPhone and no magnification.


They slowly circled overhead, joined a pair of Red-tails, and got higher and higher in the sky before disappearing off to the south.  Sure seemed like these birds were moving out of the area.  And in fact, they were not to be seen again.  They were only in view for less than 5 minutes on Friday – I felt very lucky to have seen them – all 3 of them.  Were these the same birds first seen on Cape Cod nearly 2 weeks earlier?  And it’s anyone’s guess where they were off to next.

RI is only my fifth state for Swallow-tailed Kite – of course the other 4 being in the deep south (See my statebird map below).  It was #320 for my RI list, and the 429th bird I’ve seen anywhere in New England.  And this was #1,999 for me in New England.

No comments:

Post a Comment