Saturday, October 31, 2015

Clapper Rail, Pine Point, Scarborough, ME, October 2015



While away on a business trip a post came across the ME listserve of a Clapper Rail near Pine Point in Scarborough.  The post mentioned that the bird was “continuing” from 8 days earlier – I must have missed that earlier news or perhaps it wasn’t posted on-line.  So the good news was that it was sticking around.  The bad news was that it would be at least a week until I could get there to give it a try.

I kept monitoring the listserve and eBird alerts from the road and would see occasional posts of birders still seeing the Rail.  Most birders mentioned it was seen 3-5 hours after high tide in Jones Creek, and in most all cases the bird was only visible for a few seconds.  Although all that may sound pretty specific, I couldn’t even find Jones Creek on a map.  And given that the likely viewing time would be very brief, and there was a broad expanse of marsh in the area in which to look, it would be very easy to miss the bird when it did come out into the open unless you happened to be looking at the exact right spot. 

I noticed that Louis Bevier was one of the birders who had seen it, so I reached out to him for details.  He offered to come to the site the next morning to help me find the bird.  I also contacted Denny Abbott to see if he needed the bird for his ME list.  It turns out Denny already had Clapper Rail for ME.  If I’ve got the story right, the 2015 bird may well be only the second record for this species in ME, and Denny found the first state record about 40 years earlier.  But Denny agreed to come along anyway.  Since there had been no updates for a couple days I also sent a general message to the listserve to ask if anyone had tried for it recently.  I got two replies –both birders had tried for it unsuccessfully at the right tide cycle in the last 2 days.  So although I was happy that Louis would be along to point us in the right direction, I wasn’t too optimistic that we would find our bird.

Denny and I arrived at Pine Point a short time after high tide, and found another birder, Rob Speirs, already on site.  A few minutes later Louis arrived and suggested we all go to a slightly different location, along Jones Creek Drive, to have a closer view of the best spots for the bird.  Louis pointed out a small island of spartina grasses roughly 200 yards to the northwest of our location – apparently the bird was spending it’s time at higher tides in this island, and briefly coming out to the nearby flats at lower tides.  So we all set up our scopes and began our vigil.

About an hour later, and at about 3 ½ hours after high tide, Rob yelled – I’ve got the bird!  Sure enough there was the Clapper Rail walking along the edge of the island of vegetation exactly where Louis told us.  A few seconds later it disappeared back into the island, just as it had previously.  But this time it soon came back out, and we were able to watch the bird off and on for the next several minutes as it kept walking in and out of the grasses.  It even stayed out in the open long enough to snap this passable phonescoped photo. 


Many thanks to Louis Bevier for his expert help on pointing us in the right direction – I doubt we would have been able to find the bird on our own.  And thanks go to Rob Speirs for first spotting the bird. 

Clapper Rail is #337 for my ME list, and New England total tick #2,014.  I’ve now seen this species in every coastal state touching the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico (see my statebird map below).  Plus I’ve seen the recently split Ridgway’s Rail in CA and AZ.


After seeing the Rail Denny and I went to Hills Beach in Biddeford where we found an adult Little Gull and a Hudsonian Godwit.  All in all a very nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment