Thursday, May 5, 2016

Western Grebe, Brunswick, ME, April 2016



I was watching my e-mail the morning that a post came across the listserve that a Western Grebe had just been found at Simpson’s Point Landing in Brunswick, ME.  That would be “just” a 2 ½ hour drive for me, so I was definitely tempted to chase after it.  But my success rate chasing new statebirds in ME north of Portland is really low.  In fact that success rate gets worse as my driving distance increases – even though my success rate for birds in Portland and south is quite high.  So mostly due to my past successes, or lack thereof, I decided to pass on this one.

Interestingly, this was the 3rd Western Grebe to be spotted in New England in the past week.  One had been hanging out on the NH coast for several days (I saw that one though it was not a new statebird), and another was a 1-day wonder on the CT coast a week earlier.  I unfortunately decided not to chase after that one even though I need Western Grebe for my CT list. 

As the day progressed I kept seeing posts of birders seeing the Grebe.  And with each successive post I kicked myself a little harder for not going after it.  Finally I decided to give it a try the next day, but only if someone posted that the bird was refound.  I wanted to make sure it would stick around like the NH bird instead of just being seen the one day like the CT bird.  A good strategy I thought to maximize my chances of seeing the bird if I went after it.  I posted a request to the listserve for updates the next morning, and my Maine friend Rob Speirs replied saying he was going there first thing in the morning and would post his results.  That was the good news.  The bad news was that he tried for it the first day with no luck.  Then my NH friend Bob Crowley responded saying he missed the Grebe on the first day as well.  Suddenly the bird wasn’t looking like quite the slam dunk as one would have thought just based on the positive listserve posts.  But I decided to stick with my strategy after all.

The next morning I got up early and was completely prepared to run out the door as soon as I got positive word from Rob.  And then at 7:30 Rob posted that the bird was still there.  No more than 5 minutes after his post I on the road, committing to the 5-hour round trip drive to chase after a new bird for my ME list.

I arrived at Simpson’s Point Landing at about 10 and there were 8 other birders already there.  But as I drove up I noticed that everyone was looking in different directions – not a good sign.  Sure enough, no one had seen the Grebe since Rob’s initial sighting earlier that morning.  Maine birder Louis Bevier was there and I compared notes with him – lots of birds were present including a remarkable flock of Black Scoters that numbered well into the thousands (some were even singing!), but no Western Grebe.  While I was there I met Josh Fecteau, and shared with him my less-than-stellar success rate for birds north of Portland.  I just had to laugh about it.  Over time the other birders gave up, and finally Josh and I threw in the towel at 1 PM after 3 hours of scanning the bay. 

On the way home I stopped to look at a small flock of Bohemian Waxwings that I had spotted in route, which were only my second for ME.  And although I got these passable phonescoped pictures of these most cooperative birds, it was a small consolation for yet another central ME miss.



As luck would have it the Western Grebe was spotted every day for the next 4 days.  Now the weekend was nearing and I would again have time to try for the bird.  Should I try for it yet again?  I decided to make the trek again on Saturday if it was seen Friday afternoon.  And this time I would head out even earlier, since the bird appeared to be a bit more reliable in the early morning.  There was a positive post from Friday afternoon from Noah Gibb who mentioned the bird was “wicked faahh out”.  So I was on for the Saturday drive the next morning.

As I neared Brunswick skies were overcast with a few showers and light winds.  Cloudy conditions and light winds would be ideal for looking for the Grebe, especially if it was far in the distance.  So my optimism was increasing when I arrived at Simpson’s Point Landing at 8 and saw that the water was nearly flat calm.  Josh was there again with another birder and I was hopeful that they could point the bird out to me.  Alas, they reported that they had not spotted the bird yet.  Not again!  Josh and I joked that he shouldn’t be there any day that I was trying for the target bird to avoid my bad aura. 

I started to scan the nearby water and came up empty, though again there were many birds in the bay.  Then I started to think that maybe I should start looking farther in the distance.  Not only did Noah mention that it was far out the day before, but I imagined that the other birders had spent a lot of time scanning all the closer waters already that morning.  And given the excellent viewing conditions, we could truly check out the waters much farther out than we could the first day I was there.  So I put my scope on 50X and started to look as far out as possible.

After some negative scanning I spotted a sleeping bird way out that was likely a Common Loon, but I couldn’t be sure it wasn’t a sleeping Western Grebe.  I know the 2 species aren’t that similar, but the distance was so great I couldn’t be sure.  So I mentioned this bird to the others, and decided to just keep it in my scope hoping it would wake up.  Then a couple minutes later another bird popped up out of the water right in my scope field – good sized but smaller than the sleeping bird, generally black and white, and with a long neck.  It was the Western Grebe!!!  I got the other 2 birders on the target bird and there were high fives all around.

Over the next 30 minutes the Grebe swam toward us, but was still extremely far away.  I got this miserable phone-scoped photo of the bird with the already distant Black Scoters in the foreground –


That evening with the help of Google Maps and tried to decide exactly how far out the bird might have been.  The best I can tell when we first spotted the bird it was 6,500 ft or 1¼ miles away.  But remember the bird swam toward us for the next 30 minutes so it got closer over time – though “closer” is all relative.  In the photo I took above the bird was still 5,000 feet away – nearly a full mile.  Pretty amazing.  If the Grebe had been in this same general area the first day I was there we never would have seen it given the glare off the water in sunny skies and more normal light chop of the water.

Western Grebe was #339 for me in ME, and maybe this will start a trend of an improved success rate chasing birds farther north in ME.  This was my the 4th New England state for Western Grebe; I’ve also seen this species in WI and MD as a rarity, plus of course many states out west (see my statebird map below).


No comments:

Post a Comment