Saturday, September 3, 2016

Iowa Statebirding Trip, Part 2 of 2 – Eastern IA, and a Brief Stop in WI, July 2016



I had just completed a most successful day of birding in north-central IA, the second of a 3-day statebirding trip, adding 22 statebirds to my IA list.  (See my earlier post for a summary of the north-central IA stops.)  Now I had a 4-hour drive east across northern IA to my hotel at the WI/IA border.  The plan was to start birding at dawn the next morning at Pikes Peak State Park – IA that is, not CO!  My iPhone app said I would get to my hotel at about 7 PM, roughly 45 minutes before sunset.  That would give me just enough time to do a little bit of birding that evening.  That meant in theory it was feasible to try to add at least 1 bird to my WI list to get to Reportable Plus 15 – the old ABA reportable threshold plus 15 more to stay above the threshold as it slowly creeps up.  Wyalusing State Park, with recent reports of 8 possible WI statebirds, was just a few minutes from my hotel.  But with very limited time, and a large park to cover, I’d have to be very efficient in my searches.  There were very specific locations given for recent Chat sightings, so I keyed in on Chat as my prime target to reach my WI objective.  And as I continued across the northern tier of IA anxious to get into WI, I was able to find a Gray Partridge along the road – though I already had it for my IA list. 

I reached Wyalusing SP just after 7, and while paying the entrance fee at the guard shack, I took a couple minutes to look through the huge flock of hummingbirds coming to the feeders.  I guessed there were at least 25 – I’ve never seen so many Ruby-throats at one feeding station.  Just a quarter mile down the road was the field where the Chats had been reported.  And this site looked good for another target, Orchard Oriole, so I was optimistic.  But after 20 minutes birding around the field I found neither target, though a female Baltimore Oriole got me excited for a few seconds.  I then spent a few minutes at the field across the street but again came up empty.  I guess it was too late in the year for them to still be singing. 

What to do…  I was tempted to just call it quits – afterall it had been a long day.  But I needed just 1 bird for my WI list.  So I decided to head briefly to the woodlands up ahead to try for another recently reported target – Acadian Flycatcher.  One quick stop in good habitat yielded a singing Wood Thrush, which was a good sign since I needed that one the next morning in IA.  But I already had it in WI; and I didn’t hear any Acadians.  As I drove up ahead in the next patch of woods I heard a snippet of song that sounded like Kentucky Warbler.  I stopped the car and listened – it was indeed a Kentucky, which eventually came out in the open for some good views.  A rarity in eBird, and a new one for my WI list.  I’ve now seen Kentucky Warbler in most all of the states in its regular range, along with a few as a rarity in the northeast (see my statebird map below).


WI was now my 37th state where I had reached my Reportable Plus 15 goal.

Day 3 – Eastern IA

My first planned stop of the day was at Pikes Peak State Park, right along the Mississippi River.  Quite a number of my target birds had been reported from the park going back to early summer, but there had only been a couple eBird reports from the park since mid-June, with few targets reported recently.  To maximize the potential to hear any song that might still continue this late in the year, I planned to arrive at the park pre-dawn, starting first at the trail to the Bridal Veil Falls where Yellow-throated Warbler had been reported, followed by a walk along the Point Ann Trail where several other targets had been reported. 

My route toward the park first took me along the Mississippi River in the quaint little town of McGregor, and then up a steep hill on County Road 56 along the western side of the park.  As I started to climb the hill I realized I was in excellent woodland habitat, and decided to roll down the windows and drive slowly to see what I might hear.  Instantly I heard a Wood Thrush singing (IA statebird #23).  IA was likely my last state to find this eastern species. 


And then seconds later I heard a song I couldn’t place that sounded a bit like slow Indigo Bunting notes.  I pulled over to try to check out this unusual song, and while I played a few options on my BirdTunes app, a pair of Barred Owls started to call back and forth to each other.  Eventually I played Yellow-throated Warbler and it was a match (IA #24).  Then I heard the “chip-burr” of a Scarlet Tanager (IA #25).  As I continued to listen to what was becoming a nice dawn chorus, a Red-shouldered Hawk started to call from trees on the hillside above me (IA #26).  That gave me 4 new statebirds and I hadn’t even gotten to the park yet!  And since I got the Yellow-throated Warbler here, I no longer needed to bird the Bridal Veil Trail, and could head right to the Point Ann Trail. 

The trail map for the park showed the Point Ann Trail passing through some nice woodlands where I hoped to get remaining targets like Acadian Flycatcher and Ovenbird.  Plus the park had been a reliable spot for Blue-winged Warbler earlier in the summer though no locations had been given.  I picked out a side-trail called the Bluebird Trail which passed through a more open area as a possible area for the Blue-wings.  I started walking through the woodlands and heard more Tanagers and Wood Thrushes, along with good numbers of Pewees and woodpeckers, but couldn’t scare up an Acadian or Ovenbird.  I reached the beginning of the Bluebird Trail, and this area did indeed look excellent for Blue-wings with many acres of low brushy trees in an old overgrown field.  The trail was very birdy, with many Bluebirds, along with a couple families of Redstarts, but no Blue-wings.  Finally after slowly walking through quite a bit of nice habitat I heard a short song of a Blue-winged Warbler (IA #27) – I guess they aren’t one to sing later in the summer.  I’ve now seen this species in most of its breeding range, but still need it as a migrant in a couple southeastern states.


With that target finally under my belt, I headed back into the woodlands toward the point.  Within a short distance I reached a powerline cut providing an opening through some really nice mature deciduous trees.  One of my low-potential targets for the woodlands in the park was Cerulean Warbler, which typically stop singing quite early in the summer.  And since they prefer high elevation canopies, they can be next to impossible to find after the early summer – hence the reason why I gave myself only a 10% chance of finding this target even though they had been reliably reported in the park earlier in the summer.  But at the powerline cut I had great views of the canopy, so I spent quite a bit of time searching for foraging, albeit quiet, Ceruleans near the tops of the trees.  This spot turned out to be quite birdy, including families of Yellow-throated Vireos and Redstarts.  But despite my optimism, there were no Ceruleans.  At one point I noticed a bird perched in the open near a tree top, and as I put it in my binocs (it turned out to be a Tanager), a Peregrine Falcon passed through my field of view in the background (IA #28).  Peregrines had nested n a grain silo in McGregor earlier in the year, so this was undoubtedly one of those local birds.  I had planned to spend some time looking for the falcons in McGregor after leaving the park, so that meant one less stop for later in the day.

I returned to the trail and continued through some excellent Acadian and Ovenbird habitat.  Although both were reported regularly in the park earlier in the summer, they were certainly being quiet that day, even though there was quite a bit of song otherwise.  Then as I neared the point I thought I heard a distant “che-bek” call of an Acadian.  I stopped and cupped my hands around my ears – a few seconds later I heard another really distant call, and then another (IA #29).  Would have been easier if it had been right along the trail, but I’ll take it.  Now I just needed Ovenbird, and I continued to listen intently for a “teacher, teacher” song as I continued down the trail, but with no luck.

Eventually I reached Point Ann, and emerged from the trees into a clearing finding myself on a bluff high above the Mississippi River.  The views of the river and adjacent floodplain below were amazing- this iPhone shot doesn’t do it justice.


But despite the nice scenery, I needed to get back to the birds.  There was quite a bit of activity along the edge of the woods, and I soon picked out more Redstarts and Chickadees as they actively foraged.  Then I got a glimpse of a small bird that was mostly white below with a bit of streaking on the sides – could it have been a Cerulean?  A few seconds later I noticed more movement among the leaves and this time got a good view – it was indeed a Cerulean Warbler (IA #30).  I kept watching these trees and found another Cerulean just a few feet away, and then 2 more – it was probably a family group.  I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen Ceruleans on their breeding grounds without first hearing their song.  And like the powerline cut, the point provided a nice opportunity to view the woodland edge for these canopy dwellers.  My statebird map is still very spotty for this species, especially in states where it is an elusive migrant.


I birded the point a bit longer, and continued to see the Ceruleans which were now quite cooperative.  Other notable birds here were another Acadian which I heard in the distance, and a couple Tufted Titmice near the northern edge of their range.  I need this one in MN, and even though the point is less than 35 miles from the MN line, I would be unsuccessful in finding this target to the north.

I retraced my route back through the woodlands for one more chance to hear (or see) an Ovenbird, but struck out.  As I walked along I started to think about my Ovenbirds back home which are very common breeders in the woods around my yard.  Though I hear them daily early in the summer, I actually hadn’t heard one at home for some time.  So perhaps this may be another species that stops singing early in the summer.  And as I neared my car I realized I had added all of my reasonably likely eastern IA targets except for the Ovenbird.  I had initially planned to make stops at a couple more IA locations to the north, but figured the possibility of finding an Ovenbird, or a less likely target, was quite low.  Plus leaving IA earlier than planned meant I had more time for MN stops later in the day.  So I decided to call it quits for the IA portion of my trip, and head to MN.  (As it turns out I probably made the right decision on not trying for Ovenbirds elsewhere in IA since I did not have any that afternoon in MN as well, even though a couple stops were in good habitat.) 

See my earlier post for the MN portion of Day 3 of my trip.

I ended the trip with 119 species in IA, 30 of which were new for my statelist - obviously way over my expected 19 new species.  My only reasonably likely targets that I missed were King Rail, Solitary Sandpiper, and Ovenbird.  I can’t thank Joe Jungers and Lee Schoenewe enough for all their great help in showing me around north-central IA!  Plus I added one in WI giving me 231 in that state – exactly Reportable Plus 15.

My IA statelist is now at 208, just 3 short of the old ABA threshold.  Not bad given that I’ve only birded in IA 3 times for a total of 6 days!  With a little web research I found that the current overall IA statelist stands at 427, resulting in a new threshold of 213.5.  Again a reason to aim for the Reportable Plus 15 goal, which for IA would be 226.  One year I plan to do a spring migration trip to include western IA, eastern SD and eastern ND, where I hope to be able to get to Reportable Plus 15 in all 3 of those states.  And perhaps I can bird with Joe and Lee again on that trip too.

No comments:

Post a Comment