Thursday, February 9, 2017

4 Maryland and 4 Delaware Statebirds (Aren’t eBird Needs Alerts Great?), January 2017



I grew up in Maryland and during that time really focused on my MD statelist.  As a result I developed a pretty good list while living there, standing at 321 when I moved out of the state almost 30 years ago.  At the time it was my single largest statelist, and MD was my first ABA reportable state.  Since then my focus has turned to exceeding ABA thresholds in all states, so since then I haven’t gone out of my way to try to add birds to my MD list.  Not surprisingly, I have only added 5 new birds to my MD list since I left, mostly with some opportunistic birding while visiting relatives in the area. 

But now I set a new goal to get to 15,000 total ticks.  To reach that threshold I can’t turn down any new reasonably feasible statebird, even in states with my largest lists.  So with an upcoming trip to MD in January I set up an eBird Needs Alert to see if any new birds might be around.  To my surprise many species popped up, including several species that were now regular in MD but weren’t even on my radar screen back in the 80’s – like Cackling Goose, Ross’s Goose, and Trumpeter Swan.  But more importantly the alert included a reliable rarity – Black-throated Gray Warbler.  This bird had been seen since late November in the small Tydings Memorial Park in Havre de Grace.  I only had a few hours available on one early morning to give it a try, but if I got there at dawn I could give it a couple hours before I had to head out.  Plus there was a reliable Trumpeter Swan a short distance away at Perryville Community Park.  So ever the optimist, if I could get the Warbler quickly, I could even try for the Swan as well.

I arrived at Tydings Memorial Park a bit before dawn to pea soup fog, and temps in the 30s.  Given the cool conditions I had expected this insect-eating bird to get active when its food started to get active, most likely in the first trees to be illuminated by the rising sun.  Apparently its favorite trees were a row of 4 cedars planted atop a hill in the park (recent directions put them at the east end of the park but it only took me a few seconds to find them at the west end of the park).  These would be the first ones to be in sunlight at dawn so my logic was coming together.  But that morning the rising sun was obscured by fog, and dawn arrived without any sunlit trees anywhere in the park. 

After a few minutes of searching with no luck I noticed another birder had arrived.  Hoping that he might have better directions I went over to him to compare notes.  To my surprise it was Jim Stasz, a birder I spent many hours birding with in the 70s and 80s.  In fact he was my key birding mentor from my younger formative days.  Amazing coincidence!  He too thought that the cedars would be the best spot to check at dawn.  But the fog was spoiling our plans.  Jim also mentioned that the bird was sometimes seen in the suburban neighborhood just to the north of the park, so that might be an alternate location to try.

In the next hour at least 8 other birders arrived, and we all fanned out throughout the park.  But to no avail.  Eventually the sun did come out, and a few birds made their way to the cedars, but no one spotted our target bird.

It was now time for me to head out having missed the Warbler, not to mention not even having a chance to try for the Swan.  I said goodbye to Jim and drove out of the park.  As I passed by on the road skirting the northern edge of Tydings Park, I noticed the birders all scurrying over to the neighborhood, crossing the road in front of me.  I pulled over and got the news – a birder had just found the Warbler one block to the north.  Seconds later I was with that birder standing at the base of the large spruce tree where he had heard the bird a couple minutes earlier.  Within a minute I heard the bird’s characteristic chip note, sounding much like a Yellow-rumped.  We all tracked the bird as it passed through the neighborhood, getting several brief looks at the bird as it continued to call from the treetops.  Eventually it flew over to the park, seemingly heading to its favorite row of cedars.  If I had left just a minute earlier I would have missed it!

MD was my fourth state where I’ve seen Black-throated Gray Warbler as a rarity – along with MA, GA, and ND, plus I’ve seen it throughout its normal range out west (see my statebird map below).  And it was number 327 for my MD list.


But that was just 1 new MD statebird, and the title of this blog said I added 4 in MD.  The other 3 came on my next trip “back home”.  Energized by the success of using a Needs Alert on my first trip, I set up another alert for my second trip.  Once again Cackling Geese, Ross’s Geese, and Trumpeter Swans dominated the report.  And all 3 were being seen close to my home base in Baltimore.  Most recently a Ross’s Goose and 2 Cackling Geese were being seen in a flock of Canadas 45 minutes northwest at Study Road Pond in Carroll County.  This flock also had an immature Snow Goose and a couple White-fronts – good birds for the area but not new for my MD list.  As with my first trip I had just a few hours free for birding, but these birds looked to be pretty reliable so it seemed to be worth a try.  Plus if I got these birds quickly I could try for a Trumpeter Swan just discovered in a small pond on the southwest outskirts of Baltimore. 

After a short ride into northern Carroll County I turned onto Study Road, and quickly spotted the pond ahead of me, along with a flock of geese on the grassy field above it.  And a second later I picked out a small white goose.  Within seconds I had the Ross’s Goose in my scope, and got this distant phonescoped photo of this most cooperative bird.  Needless to say a white goose in a flock of Canadas feeding in a grassy field really stands out.


MD was my 30th state for this expanding species.  And although I had seen Ross’s Goose in DE while I lived in the Mid-Atlantic, I don’t believe it was even on the MD statelist at the time.


Now I needed to search for the much less obvious Cackling Geese.  I quickly panned through the flock with my binocs and almost instantly picked out a group of 3 smaller geese feeding on the hill.  With the scope I could tell all 3 were much smaller than the Canadas, but they were facing away so I couldn’t see their bill and head shapes.  Eventually they turned and I could see all 3 had the stubbier bill, and more vertical forehead shape of a Cackling Goose.  But one was slightly larger – the rightmost bird of the trio in this photo.


And now in the middle in this photo.


Could the smaller birds be “Richardson’s” Cackling Geese and the larger one be a “Taverner’s” Cackling Goose?  Or maybe the larger bird is just the male of this potential family group, since males tend to be a little larger than females.  A bit later I found this other Goose that seemed small enough to be a Cackling, but its head/bill shape was more Canada like.  Not sure what to make of this one – maybe a small “Parvipes” Canada, or dare I say a hybrid?


Later I found the immature “Blue Phase” Snow Goose, but with a quick scan I couldn’t locate a White-front.  Although I thought about spending more time looking for that fifth goose species, since I got my target geese so quickly, I decided I should head out to make a very quick try for the Trumpeter Swan.  Luckily the Swan had been seen on a small pond, so it wouldn’t take long to either find it or realize the bird had moved on.  Maybe even easier than the Ross’s Goose.

Potentially a bigger issue with the Swan could be gaining access to the pond.  The bird was seen on the property of a gated retirement community, but one eBirder mentioned he just asked for permission at the gate and was given access.  So I wasn’t too worried when I drove up to the gate to ask as well.  However, the guard said she couldn’t let me on the property.  The pond was not visible from the road, so now what should I do?  I quickly pulled up the area on my map app in the satellite view, and could see the pond on the eastern edge of the retirement community property.  Maybe I could get a view of the pond from the back side of one of the businesses to the east.  I drove around to a couple spots and eventually found one that gave me a view to at least a portion of the pond.  And sure enough on my second stop there was the immature Trumpeter swimming down below.  Makes up for not being able to try for the Trumpeter on my first trip to MD.  I got this miserable shot of the bird by holding my phone up to my binocs.


MD is my second east coast state where I’ve counted the reintroduced Trumpeter Swans – luckily they have been accepted on the MD statelist. 


That gave me 4 new birds on my MD list in just 1 month, raising my total to 330.  After I entered all my sightings in eBird my MD Needs Alerts now only had a couple entries.  Though unfortunately none of the remaining birds were close enough to chase after, but I was very happy with adding 4 new birds in such limited birding time.

With so much success using a MD Needs Alert, I started to think about setting up Needs Alerts for nearby states.  Although my statelists in adjacent states were also pretty good, they weren’t as good as my MD list, so there would likely be several targets to pursue.  The problem was I didn’t have any more spare time while I was in Baltimore.  But I still had to drive back to MA at the end of the trip, so maybe there would be some statebirds I could pursue close to my planned route home with just some short side-trips.  I started with a Needs Alert in DE where my statelist stood at a very respectable 270.  My planned route would take me on I-95 through New Castle County in DE, and sure enough there were several potential targets in that northernmost DE county.  And with a bit of research I was able to find 4 reasonably likely targets to pursue close to my I-95 route – Ring-necked Duck and Common Merganser at the Newark Reservoir, Black-capped Chickadee at feeders at the Tri-State Bird Rescue, and Cackling Goose at Bellevue State Park.  Despite having to make stops at 3 different sites, my total additional drive time was just 45 minutes.  If I made short “tactical” birding stops at each location it would all be feasible - my plan was set.

After just an hour drive from Baltimore I neared the DE stateline and took the exit to head to the Newark Reservoir.  Several recent eBird reports had included small flocks of both Common Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks there, including just 2 days before my visit.  (Not exactly sure why I still needed these quite common species in a state where I’ve done so much birding over the years…)  There were also a couple reports of Cackling Geese there a few weeks earlier, so another one to watch out for.  I needed a short walk uphill to gain access to the reservoir, but I hoped to be able to quickly check off both the Ring-neck and Merg once I got the reservoir in view.  As I headed up the path to the reservoir I saw a duck flying overhead – it was a male Common Merganser.  That was easy!  Now I just needed the Ring-necks to be as cooperative.  Unfortunately it wasn’t to be.  Although I had 9 Common Mergs on the water, I could not find any Ring-necked Ducks.  And there was only 1 Canada Goose – none of its smaller cousins were around. 

My statebird map for Common Merganser pretty closely matches it regular range, though I still need it in OH.  And as a postscript – if I had found a Ring-necked Duck I could have filled in DE in my statebird map as my last continental US state for that species.  (I’ve seen 26 species in every continental US state.)


Next I was off to nearby Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research, where a few eBird posts had reported a Black-capped Chickadee coming to their feeders.  The northern tip of DE is traditionally near the southern edge of the range of Black-caps, especially in winter when a few birds tend to move a bit south of their normal breeding ranges.  And many of these birds are reported from feeders, not surprisingly with several Carolinas, as was the case with the Tri-State feeders.  That brings up the challenge of identification of these 2 very similar species.  Luckily I’ve grown up near the edge of the Carolina/Black-capped ranges, so I’ve spent a lot of time with these 2 species.  To me, the biggest ID clue is the size difference, though interestingly that feature isn’t stressed in the field guides.  When I travel to MD and see a Carolina Chickadee, after spending years with Black-caps in New England, my first thought is how much smaller Carolinas are. 

With prior approval to bird at the Tri-State feeders, I arrived mid-morning and headed to a deck overlooking their feeding station.  I quickly found 4 Carolina Chickadees actively coming to the feeder to grab a sunflower seed.  They would then fly to a bush just a short distance away to open the seed.  They would chatter a bit, and then head back to the feeder to repeat their cycle.  Despite my best efforts, I couldn’t turn any of them into a Black-cap.  After 20 minutes I was starting to second-guess my efforts.  After all it had been more than a month since the last eBird report.  Then I spotted a different Chickadee fly in from the south.  I instantly thought that this bird was bigger.  And when it landed near the feeder I could see its whiter wings, rustier sides, and more ragged edge to the bib – a Black-capped Chickadee.  However my look was brief, as it stayed near the feeder for just 10 seconds, never actually stopped at the feeder, and then flew off to the north.  In other words it wasn’t even associating with the Carolinas that had taken up residence at the feeding station.  I’ve now seen Black-capped Chickadee in just about all its regular states, including down the spine of the Appalachians in VA, NC, and TN.


I was now quickly back on the road driving through some suburban streets headed off to my next stop.  As I neared a red light I could see a large flock of crows circling overhead.  I half-heartedly told myself to keep an eye open for Common Raven which had been occasionally reported from the general area.  As I sat at the light I noticed one more distant Corvid that seemed to be doing more soaring than flapping.  On a lark I picked up my binocs from the passenger seat, lowered my window, and focused my binocs on the bird in question – it had a wedge-shaped tail.  Amazingly, it was indeed a Raven!  I continued to watch it glide along the edge of the flock of Crows; that is until the light turned green.  Thank goodness for long red lights.  With the exception of NJ, I’ve seen this species in all its regular states and a few others as it continues to expand its range.


Next I was off to Bellevue State Park to try for Cackling Geese.  A flock of 5 had been reported there in early January, but that was now more than 2 weeks ago.  But I tried to remain optimistic.  Once I got to the park it was pretty easy to find the lake and adjoining fields where the mixed Canada and Cackling Goose flock had been reported.  And sure enough up ahead there was a small flock of about 200 geese grazing in the field.  A quick scan did not reveal any smaller geese.  So I got closer and with just a bit of searching found a flock of 5 smaller Cackling Geese feeding together.  Perhaps a family group?  Amazing that they have stayed in this park for so long.  I got this photo of the 5 Cackling Geese with 2 larger Canadas off to the side.

 
My Cackling Goose statebird map is less a reflection of the wintering range of this species than it is  indicative of the states in which I’ve birded in the proper season since Cackling Goose was split out as a separate species.


That gave me 4 new DE statebirds, bringing my list up to 274.  And along with my MD success, amazing to add 8 new birds to my already substantial Mid-Atlantic statelists despite making just 3 short birding trips.  As I continued my drive north up the NJ Turnpike I was half-tempted to pull over and set up a quick Needs Alert in NJ.  But that will have to wait for a future trip. 

I love Needs Alerts…

No comments:

Post a Comment