Saturday, October 27, 2018

Blue Grosbeak, Brattleboro, VT, October 2018


Each year I make a trip to southeast VT in the early fall to look for sparrows and late warblers.  I almost made the trip to VT a week earlier, but literally at the last moment I changed my plans and headed to Maine instead, where I had a successful search for Prothonotary Warbler.  I made the right choice, right?  Then again, who knows what I may have found if I had stuck with my original plans to go to VT. 
So when my schedule opened up a week later I found myself once again thinking about possible statebirds in VT.  It wasn’t too late to give it another try, so I made my plans to make my regular annual trip to southeast VT.  I have 4 key targets on these trips – Orange-crowned Warbler, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Blue Grosbeak, and Lark Sparrow.  None of these are very likely, and certainly the last two are real long shots.  And only one of the 4 had been spotted recently – there was an Orange-crowned reported in the area a week earlier.  As a result these are almost always truly speculative trips.  But my stops are designed to be in good habitat for one or more of these species, and I was successful on my 2016 trip in finding a Connecticut Warbler which was another of my targets at the time.  So I was always optimistic that I might find one of my targets.  And if not, I’d still have fun birding in good habitat.
I was out of the house by 6:30 and arrived at my first stop at the Brattleboro marina on this crisp clear morning just before 8.  There is a large cornfield next to the marina, and the perimeter can be good for sparrows and dicky birds in the brush.  This site did not disappoint, with an estimated 230 sparrows of 8 species, 4 warbler species, and a late Indigo Bunting.  And overhead I watched as a Merlin and Peregrine passed by.  But despite spending more than 2 hours in great habitat, I couldn’t scare up any of my target birds. 
Next I was on to the Brattleboro Retreat Meadows, where a goldenrod/aster field has always looked like a great spot for Orange-crowned.  But this year the field had been cut, and habitat was limited to say the least.  The best birds were 3 early Wigeon in the flock of Canada Geese in the backwaters of the river. 
The Harris Hill ski jump area was my next stop.  There is a large open field at the base of the ski jump, and the perimeter has yielded good numbers of sparrows and warblers in the past, including my Connecticut 2 years earlier.  My routine here is to walk the perimeter “clockwise”, starting at the southern edge.  But this time I found almost no birds at all.  As I reached the southwest corner I found a few sparrows, and these birds were joined by a few others along the western wooded edge.  At one point I caught a glimpse of yellowish color in the brush, but it only turned out to be a late Magnolia instead of my hoped-for Orange-crowned.
By the time I reached the base of the ski jump most of the flock had moved up the hill along the edge.  I was tempted to follow them up the hill but I figured I had already seen most of them.  Just then a bird flew out from the edge directly overhead.  I got it in my binocs and as I watched it head to the north my initial thought was it was a large sparrow.  But the color wasn’t quite right – it seemed to have some chestnut shades below.  Luckily I was able to track it to the distant treeline and it landed in the open.  It was a chunky bird, uniformly chestnut brown.  Could it be a Blue Grosbeak?  Although it was very distant, I thought I could see a large bill.  Then I started to hear the characteristic loud “chink” calls.  I watched it perched in the tree for at least a minute, and tried to temper my excitement.  Was it big enough to be my target?  Was the bill large enough?  I was starting to second guess myself and lean toward just another Indigo when the bird flew from the northern edge of the clearing, and I watched it disappear into the brush near the southwest corner.  It took me just a couple minutes to get back there, but there were no birds in sight.  On a lark, I decided to play some tape of Blue Grosbeak call notes – no response.  Then a minute later I looked up and there was a female-plumaged Blue Grosbeak right in front of me!
Finally with close views I could see all the field marks – uniformly chestnut brown, rusty wing bar, massive grayish bill.  And it was calling again – giving those distinctive “chink” call notes.  I watched it for several minutes before it flew back toward the base of the ski jump.  This was an extreme rarity for VT, so I quickly went to my phone to call local birders – unfortunately I just got Hector Galbraith’s voice mail but was able to talk to Dave Johnston.  Dave said he’d be over in 15 minutes. 
While waiting for Dave to arrive I tried to re-find the Grosbeak so I could hopefully show it to him.  I headed back toward the base of the ski jump where I last saw it and found a few sparrows but little else.  Then I spotted a couple sparrows pop up from the grasses to the right to perch on top of a fence that surrounds the base of the ski jump.  I scanned the fence and saw a Song Sparrow, then another Song, then – there was the Blue Grosbeak!  As it continued to sit in the open all I could think of was that I wish I had brought my camera.  Lately I’ve taken a few photos holding my phone up to my binocs, and they’ve come out pretty well when the bird has perched still for a while.  So I gave it a try this time, and got these 3 pretty nice shots -



Shortly after taking these photos the bird dropped back down into the grass.  Luckily after Dave arrived we re-found the Grosbeak, including once seeing it perched back up on the fence.  Always nice to share a rarity.
Not surprisingly my later stops were uneventful by comparison.  It’s interesting to note that my last stop was at the Stebbins Road stump dump, which has always been on my itinerary because it has hosted Blue Grosbeak in the past.  Needless to say that’s now one less target to hope for in my future fall trips to southeast VT.
In my Blue Grosbeak statebird map below, the dark blue states are those where I’ve seen this species.  The cross-hatched states are those in its regular range where I still need it as a statebird – just a few more to go. 

On the other hand, VT and all the other New England states are outside its normal range.  And most notably, this was only the 8th Blue Grosbeak record for VT (per eBird), 5 accepted historical records and now 3 from this decade 

  • 5/84 - Norwich - noted in eBird as "1st accepted" state record
  • 8/84 - Winhall - "2nd accepted
  • 5/85 - Newbury - "hypothetical - 3rd accepted"
  • 5/96 - Shaftsbury - "3rd accepted"
  • 5/96 - Danby - same bird apparently entered into eBird at 2 locations - "4th accepted"
  • 6/97 - West Arlington - "5th accepted"
  • 10/10 - Vernon - 2 birds found by Dave Johnston at the Stebbins Road stump dump
  • 10/11 - Vernon - same bird perhaps returning from the previous year?
And now -
  • 10/18 - Brattleboro
This was #282 for my VT list, and the 248th species I’ve seen in each of the 6 New England states.  

I really like my fall trips to southeast VT!



No comments:

Post a Comment