Sunday, November 20, 2022

Another Rare Phalarope in Western NC, Lake Julian, Asheville, NC, October 24, 2022

It was early on October 24th when this text came across the Blue Ridge Audubon text group –

“Phalarope species at Julian just now”

Any Phalarope in the western NC mountains would be a rarity.  And this time of year the most likely species would be either a Red-necked or even a rarer Red.  I needed both species for my Buncombe County list, and better yet I needed Red Phalarope for my NC state list.  So within minutes I was out the door to chase after the still unidentified rarity. 

I was part way along my 25-minute drive to Lake Julian when the next text came across –

“We’re leaning Red…bird is pretty distant but the bill looks too thick”

At that point I pushed the accelerator down a bit harder.  The 25-minute drive seemed like 25 hours.

Along the ride I mentally reviewed the salient fieldmarks to separate the Phalarope species.  I’ve seen quite a number of Red and Red-necked Phalaropes over the years, including hundreds on pelagic trips when they were often distant birds either foraging on the ocean surface or flying by in flocks.  In non-breeding plumage the most important field mark on those distant birds is the mantle color – solid gray on a Red, and streaked gray and black on Red-necked.  Bill length and thickness are also good fieldmarks, but the slightly shorter and slightly thicker bill of a Red Phalarope are less likely to be noticeable on a distant bird, though of course that would eliminate a Wilson’s.

When I finally pulled into Lake Julian the first thing I saw was 2 birders standing at their cars.  My heart sunk as my first thought was that the Phalarope had flown away and the birders had given up.  Instead, they were just heading out after long views of the bird and other birders were still on it.  Crisis averted.  A minute later I was at the shoreline with 3 other birders watching the distant Phalarope.  I shared my ID details with the other birders who had limited if any experience with these species, and started my own review of the bird.

The Phalarope was perhaps 75 to 100 yards out on the lake, which sure complicates the ID on an 8-inch-long bird.  Luckily the water was smooth as glass and there was no heat shimmer.  It was actively foraging, rapidly picking at morsels on the surface, with frequent spinning along the way.  Classic Phalarope activity.  And the bill was short and thick.  Now to concentrate on the mantle.  The sun seemed to be washing out the bird, but the back did indeed appear to be pale and uniform.  Though there were a couple darker feathers in the folded wings.  A bit later the bird swam more to the west changing the sun angle, giving even a better look at the mantle – truly looked uniform gray.  It seemed good for a Red Phalarope, but it sure would be nice to have a closer look.

After I left, three birders rented a paddle boat and were able to paddle right up to the bird getting great looks confirming the ID as a Red Phalarope.  It was likely a juvenile bird still molting into its first winter plumage.

Per eBird, there were 3 previous records of Red Phalarope in western NC – the most recent of which was in 2004.  Interestingly, all 3 were in Transylvania County.  In two of these older records it was noted in the eBird checklist that the bird was seen right after wind and rainstorms, which is typical for inland Phalarope records.  But you certainly couldn’t attribute the Lake Julian bird to a storm event – we were in the middle of a mild drought with no rain for several weeks.  Just a bird passing through I guess.  Another surprising migrant for the NC mountains.  In fact, I’ve seen all 3 Phalarope species in western NC since I moved to the area in 2019.

Red Phalarope was #321 for my NC state list.  NC is now my 11th state with all 3 Phalaropes.

My statebird map for Red Phalarope is inserted below.  The blue states are those where I’ve seen this species in its regular coastal range and as a breeder in AK.  Cross-hatched Oregon is the last state in its regular range where I’ve yet to see it.  The seven brown states are those where I’ve seen it as an inland rarity. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment