Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Pacific Loon - Statebird #300 in South Carolina, Lake Jocassee, March 9, 2023

On March 4th an e-mail from the Greenville County Bird Club list popped up with this subject line – “Pacific Loon at Devils Fork SP”.  That certainly caught my attention, though I wasn’t sure where Devils Fork SP was.  The body of the e-mail read:

“Jay Mager, an ornithologist who specializes in studies of loons, reported a Pacific Loon on Lake Jocassee at Devils Fork SP around noon today.”

I remember hearing about Lake Jocassee, although I had never been there.  That is the spot that features large numbers of wintering Loons, and where a Pacific Loon was found at that same time of year in 2020.  I didn’t chase after that one as that was at the beginning of the Covid outbreak and I was pretty much sticking around home back then.  So with 3 years of kicking myself for not going after the 2020 bird, I sure wanted to give this one a try. 

The key question was whether it was just passing through or whether it would stick around long enough to chase after.  It was seen again on the 5th so at least it wasn’t just a one-day-wonder.  The next complication was that we had a short family trip scheduled for the 6th through the 8th, so March 9th would be my first opportunity to try for it.  I watched the eBird reports every day, and luckily the Loon was reported daily through the 8th, including with some excellent photos of the bird at quite close range.  The hunt was on!

I was out the door pre-dawn on the 9th feeling quite optimistic that not only would I find the Pacific Loon, but that I would find it quite quickly.  Most of the reports included sightings along the east shore of the lake near the Villa properties.  And the best viewing spot appeared to be from the Eclectic Sun rental shop.  Within minutes of paying the Devils Fork SP entrance fee I had set up my scope on the lawn in front of the rental shop to start my scan of the lake.  I first looked toward the northeast in the vicinity of the Villas but didn’t see any birds at all.  Then I turned my attention to the open lake waters toward the north and northwest, finding a couple Common Loons, but not my target bird.  With additional scans I found a few more Common Loons, a pair of Horned Grebes, and some distant Bonaparte’s Gull but still no Pacific Loon.

Could the Loon be feeding in some other portion of the reservoir that wasn’t visible from the Eclectic Sun?  Or worse yet, had it move on?  Just then a group of birders walked up to me and asked if I had found the Loon yet.  It turned out that they were the ones who first discovered the bird, and told me about a couple small coves near the Villas, not visible from my viewing spot, where they had seen the bird earlier in the week.  So I headed into the Villas and checked out those hidden coves, but to no avail.  I then drove around to the west side of the lake for another viewing angle but just came up with the same birds as before.

It was now longer than I had planned to stay, but I decided to make one more stop at the rental place.  As I started my scans I noticed a pontoon boat far out on the water owned by a group that gives tours of the lake.  I could see several people on the boat with binoculars, and watched the boat slow down each time it passed by a Common Loon.  I assumed it was giving a tour to some birders who were also looking for the Pacific, so I decided to keep a close eye on them in case they got lucky. 

A few minutes later the boat slowed once again.  A short distance ahead of them I could see a Loon on the water – the first thing that jumped out at me was that it was quite a bit smaller than the nearby Commons.  Did I have my target?  Unfortunately, the boat soon passed between me and the bird so I lost it for about 15 seconds.  Finally the bird reappeared giving me long albeit distant views.  In addition to being smaller, it was paler than the Commons, with a smaller bill.  I did indeed have my target Pacific Loon!  Not the best of views, but still definitive looks at quite a rarity for the Upstate of SC.

My statebird map for Pacific Loon is inserted below.  The blue-shaded states are those where I’ve seen this species in its regular west coast range.  And the 12 brown-shaded states are those where I’ve seen it as a rarity.


This caps off a most successful winter for rare waterfowl in the Upstate of SC – I added Red-necked Grebe, Common Merganser, Ross’s Goose and now Pacific Loon to my statelist this winter.  And Pacific Loon was a milestone for me in SC – it was #300 for my SC list.  SC is now the 11th state where I’ve tallied 300 or more species.

No comments:

Post a Comment