Thursday, June 6, 2024

Opportunistic Birding Nets Three Caprimulgids, Botetourt County, VA, May 15 and 20, 2024

With a planned family get together in Maryland in mid-May of course I hoped for some state bird possibilities.  Especially since it was near the peak of spring migration.  But I grew up in MD and have an excellent state list.  An eBird MD Needs Alert included only a couple non-chaseable rarities, so the state bird potential in MD was pretty much non-existent.

But perhaps there might be some state bird opportunities in Virginia.  Typically, our route to MD includes an overnight stop in the VA mountains near Roanoke.  With a non-birding spouse and a small dog in tow, birding with the family along is typically limited to short trips for nearby targets.  I ran another Needs Alert, this time for VA, and came up with lots of reports of Whip-poor-wills and Chuck-will’s-widows.  Luckily, there were several reports of Whips less than 10 minutes east of our hotel, and Chucks 20 minutes to the west.  I could probably get to both spots in one evening.  And not to be greedy, but if I was really lucky, I might see another of my state bird targets – Common Nighthawk.  They were migrating through the area in small numbers at the time, and just maybe I might see one pass by while waiting for it to be dark enough for the Whips and Chucks to call. 

I was all set except for one issue – the weather.  On our trip north on May 15th the forecast was for occasional showers.  It was dry that evening and I tried to stay optimistic.  But just as I was heading out it started to rain quite hard.  What to do…  Maybe I could try for these same targets on the way back south on the 20th, assuming we stayed in the same hotel.  I checked the weather forecast for the 20th and it looked to be ideal – light breezes, partly cloudy, and nearly a full moon.  I checked with my wife and we agreed to stay in the same hotel on the way back.  So my birding time could wait till the return trip.

But since I was already planning to head out that evening, I decided to check out the Chuck-will’s-widow spots so I’d be familiar with them the next week.  After a short drive I got to the first spot where the Chucks had been reported amazingly just as the rain stopped.  I got out and listened but I only heard frogs and water dripping from the trees.  I drove onto the next spot and more of the same.  As I headed to the third Chuck location I briefly noticed a good-sized dark bird flying along the road.  I turned around and headed back and there it was again.  This time I got a better view and could see that the bird was indeed a brown goatsucker.  I didn’t get great views, but with only Chuck reports from this site, chances are this one was a Chuck-will’s Widow as well.

My statebird map for Chuck-will’s-widow is inserted below.  I’ve seen this species in 13 blue-shaded states in its regular range.  I’ve also seen it as a rarity in 4 states – the brown-shaded ones.  However, I still need this species in numerous states in its regular range – the cross-hatched states.

On the trip back home the weather was nearly perfect as expected.  This time I headed east to the sites where Whip-poor-wills had been reported.  I went to several of the locations but in each case they were along a narrow winding road with no shoulder to pull into.  I went a short distance past the farthest site and came to a power line cut with a wide pull off.  In my experience Whips and Chucks like to feed in these openings.  I had perfect weather and hopefully a good location – now I just needed the birds to cooperate. 

It was still a bit early for the Whips so I kept an eye on the sky for Nighthawks.  And just a few minutes later, right at sunset at 8:26, I spotted a single silent Common Nighthawk passing over the power line cut.  Although I hoped to see a Nighthawk, I admit I wasn’t too optimistic.  I now just need this species in 3 more states.

And then at 31 minutes after sunset at 8:57, a Whip-poor-will started calling from the power line cut behind me.  I listened to it for a while, and then decided to see if I could hear others nearby.  I drove back to two of the other sites where they had been reported recently and heard one at each spot.  That is until cars came up behind me and I had to move on.  It’s interesting that once I got the right weather conditions they were actually pretty easy.  But just like the Chuck-will’s-widow, I still need Whip-poor-will in a number of eastern states

Sure is nice to add these 3 nocturnal species to my VA list, which brings my VA state list up to 276.  Though I guess I need to devote more time to nocturnal birding to check off Whips and Chucks in more of those eastern states too.

No comments:

Post a Comment