Monday, November 11, 2013

Black-chinned Hummingbird, Fairfield, CT, November 2013



Just a week after seeing a Calliope Hummingbird at a NH feeder came word that a Black-chinned Hummingbird was being seen in Fairfield, CT – both were state firsts!  At the request of the homeowner, the Black-chin was not being reported on the CT listserve nor on e-bird.  Instead, news was spreading by word of mouth.  Luckily I got a call from a CT birder with all the details – many thanks for the call!  The bird was not coming to a feeder but instead to flowers which were still blooming despite the November date. 

Now I had to figure out when I could get there, or even if I would go.  I typically limit my chasing to a 2-hour drive from home, and Fairfield was 2 hours 40 minutes away.  But as I’ve neared my goal of seeing 2,000 statebirds in New England, the possibilities for new statebirds have diminished.  And I’ve found myself driving a bit farther to chase after stakeouts.  So since this was a first for CT, I decided to give this one a try.  I couldn’t break free for 3 days, so next the issue was whether the bird would stick around till then.  It had been coming to these flowers for about a week, so as long as there wasn’t a killing freeze, hopefully it would stick around for 3 more days.  The home was located very close to the coast so the warm water would likely shelter the flowers from anything but a hard freeze.  At least that was my hope since the morning I headed out to try for the bird it was 24 degrees at my house.  At the same time the temperature in Fairfield was listed as 36 degrees so I was cautiously optimistic.

I arrived at the Fairfield address at about 8:30 and made my way to the back yard where I was told the bird had been coming to a pineapple sage plant.  But just a few seconds later the homeowner came out and said the bird had recently been coming to two other sage plants in the front yard, including earlier that morning.  So the bird made it through the night!  I walked around out front and almost instantly heard the bird chattering.  And less than a minute later it was feeding at one of the sage plants.  I got great prolonged views of this bird including vigorous pumping of its tail, a few black/purple feathers in the gorget (making it a young male?), greenish coloration to the sides, and long and slightly decurved bill.  Couldn’t have been any more cooperative.  And to think it was just a couple months earlier that I was watching a feeder full of Black-chins in the panhandle of OK, and a couple also coming to pineapple sage in the southwest corner of KS.  I think I have to get one of these plants for my garden.

Black-chinned Hummingbird was CT statebird #305 for me, and #423 for me in all of New England.  I’ve now seen this species in 15 states- 11 out west, 3 along the Gulf Coast as an increasing winter visitor, and now in CT as an extreme rarity.


No comments:

Post a Comment