Monday, November 24, 2014

Black-throated Green Warbler (but dipped again on Falcated Duck), California, November 2014



The schedule for this month’s trip to California didn’t come together very well, and I ended up with some spare time in the middle of the trip.  But that meant that I had a vacation day available for birding while in California – not a bad silver lining all things considered.  There were a couple statebird possibilities to aim for in the area – Black-throated Green Warbler near San Luis Obispo, and Northern Parula in Santa Cruz.  And even after committing some time to chase after both of them, I’d likely still have some additional birding time available.  So I planned to bird Pt. Pinos on the Monterey Peninsula.  I birded this area once before at least a couple decades ago and really enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to getting back there. 

On the day before my vacation day my meetings ended a bit early, giving me just barely enough time to try for the Black-throated Green before dusk.  So I changed my plans a bit, and instead of heading to the hotel, I headed to the Oceano Campground at the Pismo State Beach where the bird had been seen for several days.  Several e-bird posts included an explicit location where the bird was being seen (which is not often the case).  I arrived just a bit before sunset, parked at the edge of the campground, and took the 5 minute walk to “the” spot for this bird – described as willows over the water at the northern tip of the lagoon.  Along the way I heard numerous “Audubon’s” Warblers, so I wondered how I would pick out one wayward eastern warbler among flocks of these common birds.  Within seconds of arriving at the northern end of the lagoon I saw a bit of movement in the willows.  Although the bird was back in the trees a bit, I quickly saw glimpses of yellow on the bird, and soon it popped into the open – it was the Black-throated Green Warbler.  It was literally the first bird I saw and it took less than 30 seconds to find it!  They should all be that easy.

Black-throated Green Warbler was #371 for me in CA.  And CA is my first state for this eastern species as a rarity (see my statebird map below).


I spent a little more time in the park and found good numbers of Audubon’s and Townsend’s Warblers, and a couple Chestnut-backed Chickadees in the woods.  And had a couple minutes to get to a beach area in the park and saw the Ross’ Goose stakeout among the numerous Western and California Gulls, Coots, and Mallards looking for handouts.

That evening, as I was reviewing my plans for the next day to try for the Parula and to bird Pt. Pinos, I checked that day’s California e-bird rarity report.  The list included a Falcated Duck at Colusa NWR.  This bird had been reported there a couple weeks earlier, but with no recent reports, I had written it off.  This is undoubtedly the same bird that spent the winter of 2011-2012 at Colusa NWR, and was reliably seen from an observation platform every day for 3 months.  That is except for 2 days – 1 of which was the day I spent there looking for the bird.  So even though it would mean a long 5-hour drive, I instantly changed my plans to go to Colusa.

Unfortunately this trip to Colusa NWR was more frustrating than my 2012 trip there.  Not only did I not see the bird despite standing in a cold rain for 5 hours, but another birder there saw the bird 3 times while I was there.  Twice while he was standing right next to me.  I’m jinxed…   

No comments:

Post a Comment