Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pacific Loon, Biddeford, ME, November 2014


Pacific Loon is a rarity that is reported every year from the New England coast, including ME.  Most don’t stick around for multiple days so are not readily chaseable.  And even if they are chaseable, identification can be a challenge, especially when the target bird is bobbing around on the ocean in the distance.  Over the years I have tried to chase after at least a couple reported in ME without any luck.  Most had turned out to be one-day wonders, or maybe even misidentified.  In any case, this was a target bird for me in ME.

Then came an e-bird report of one seen off Eastern Point in Biddeford.  There were no listserve posts of the bird, so it was a bit under the radar screen.  But when it was reported over the next couple days on e-bird, I started to take notice.  Then finally came a first report on the listserve making it sound rather reliable, though still there were few details on the location or tips for finding it.  Eastern Point sticks out into the ocean with a nearly 270 degree view of the water.  So without any further details on the location, that would make for a lot of ocean to scan.  Finally, an e-bird post from Louis Bevier mentioned that the bird was close to the green buoy.  So I made I made a quick call to Louis and he told me the bird had been hanging out just south of the green buoy, which was itself nearly directly east of the point.  Armed with Louis’ excellent directions, I called Denny Abbott, and we were on our way.

When we arrived at the Eastern Point Sanctuary skies were cloudy meaning there would be no glare off the water.  But there was a strong breeze out of the SW that created a bit of a wind chill, and some considerable swells and waves on the ocean.  So viewing conditions might be a bit of a challenge.  After a short walk we arrived at the point and easily found the green buoy a couple hundred yards to the east.  With binoculars you could pick out a large raft of Common Eiders and another raft of Scoters in the general area.  I set up my scope and began to scan the area just south of the buoy.  On my first several scans I found several Red-necked Grebes but no Loons of any variety.  Then on the next scan I found 2 Common Loons and had the briefest of views of another Loon before it dove.  Even though the sighting was for only a couple seconds at most, I noticed it was darker-backed and smaller than the Commons, so I was cautiously optimistic.  I put Denny on this area, and we scanned again.  This time I had all 3 Loons swimming together – 2 Commons and the third bird was indeed the Pacific Loon.  Over the next several minutes the Pacific stayed on the surface only disappearing briefly when it swam behind a swell.  We were able to see all the field marks, including getting great comparisons with the Commons which were frequently in the same field of view.  I can’t thank Louis Bevier enough for his excellent micro-directions.

Pacific Loon was #334 for me in ME, and #1,989 for New England – just 11 to go to 2,000.  And yet another statebird in November – the best month for vagrants in New England.

I’ve now seen Pacific Loon in 13 states – not bad for a bird typically only seen in the 4 states on the Pacific coast.  Though since it has a tendency for vagrancy, I have now seen it as a rarity in the 5 coastal New England states, along with MD, NV, AZ and CO.  (see my statebird map below) 

No comments:

Post a Comment