Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Wilson’s and Mourning Warblers, East Rock Park, Hamden, CT, May 2015



An upcoming short business trip to western CT was a bit too far away from home to go down and back in the same day.  So with a hotel stay required, I started to think about whether I could squeeze in a little local CT birding time not too far from the site.  I need several not-so-rare migrant passerines for my CT list, so there could certainly be some possibilities.  The day before the trip two of my targets, Wilson’s Warbler and Olive-sided Flycatcher, were seen at East Rock Park in Hamden, CT.  It wasn’t too far from my project site, so I figured I could squeeze in a couple hours birding there in the evening.  I had never been to the park, but got some excellent directions from some local birders, and made a plan to go there the next day.

But migration was very limited the next day, and there were no reports of Wilson’s or Olive-sided.  Do I rethink my plans?  But later in the morning came a report of a third CT target, Mourning Warbler, also at East Rock Park.  It was seen a few times during the day in a thicket below the Trowbridge stone bridge, but it was a real skulker and only gave brief and infrequent views.  So I kept with my original plans though of course my target bird changed.   

I arrived at about 5 PM and quickly found the stone bridge and the thicket beneath it.  But other than a pair of Redstarts and a Magnolia Warbler, the area was extremely quiet.  I made my way down to the thicket and spent the next 90 minutes patiently waiting for the Mourning to reappear, but to no avail.  At times I thought about heading to other places in the park where Wilson’s had been seen the day before.  But since there were no Wilson’s reported in the park that day, I figured it was best to just keep waiting at this spot for my only real possible target bird.

It was 6:30 when I heard a few chip notes in the brush a short distance to the east.  I went over to investigate and found a small warbler flock with 1 each of Black-throated Blue, Yellowthroat, Ovenbird, and Black-and-white.  Then in the distance I heard a two-part trill – slower initially then stronger and faster at the end.  It sang a couple more times, and I moved closer to try to hear it better.  I pulled up the Wilson’s Warbler song on my app and it was a near-perfect match for a couple of the songs.  It continued to sing over the next 10 minutes.  That sure was unexpected. 

I returned to the thicket where the Mourning had been seen and saw some movement in the low branches – but it just turned out to be the same female Yellowthroat I had seen earlier.  But then there was a bit more movement a couple feet from the Yellowthroat.  I never saw the bird, so just assumed it was one of the other warblers I found a few minutes earlier.  A minute later I saw some more movement and then a bird flew across the trail.  I saw a flash of yellow in the short glimpse I had – could it be the Mourning?  I continued to see movement in the brush and peered through the foliage getting only tiny glimpses of parts of the bird – first I saw a yellow belly, then a greenish back, then a dark upper chest with a darker line as a demarcation from the yellow.  Although I only saw the bird for maybe 3-4 seconds, and never saw the whole bird at one time, it was the male Mourning Warbler.  Interestingly, the Yellowthroat popped into the open a few seconds later and gave good views.  Why couldn’t the Mourning have been that cooperative?

Wilson’s and Mourning Warblers were #317 and #318 for my CT list.  I’ve now seen Wilson’s in 35 states, with the biggest gaps coming in the southeast states - it's a much more common species out West.  (see my statebird map below)



By comparison I’ve only seen Mourning Warbler in 15 states – in 7 states as a breeder and 8 states as a migrant.


And I now have 2,002 statebirds in New England.

No comments:

Post a Comment