Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Bullock’s Oriole, Hampton, NH, December 2015



Back in January 2002 a Bullock’s Oriole was reported at a feeder in Dover, NH.  Although it had been coming to the feeder for some time, it took a while for the news to get out.  A couple of birders who were able to try for it the first day it was reported got good views of the bird.  Unfortunately they were the last birders to see it - I was among a group of many birders trying for it the next day unsuccessfully. 

Fast forward 13+ years later - a report came across the NH listserve of a young male Bullock’s at a feeder in Hampton.  And similar to the Dover sighting, it had been coming to a feeder for about 3 weeks, though it was very irregular.  I couldn’t get there for a couple of days, but when multiple positive sightings were posted over the next 2 days, and birders were seeing it with only minimal wait times, I was optimistic that I would find it on the 3rd day.  Then again, I still vividly remembered my failed NH Bullock’s Oriole attempt in 2002.  I contacted the homeowner the night before to give me access to his backyard, and I was ready to go.

I arrived at 9 AM and was immediately greeted by the most friendly homeowner.  Although he welcomed me to try for the bird he mentioned he had not seen it yet that morning.  I started to get my bearings.  The last couple days the Oriole had been seen in the backyard where the feeders were (though it was not actually seen at the feeders), in trees behind the backyard, in trees in the front yard, and in brush south of the yard.  In other words it could be almost anywhere.  It turned out that the backyard was surrounded by a high wooden fence, which meant you could only see in the yard by passing through the garage and then actually standing in the yard.  And the front and side yards weren’t visible from the backyard, though the trees behind the backyard were visible from there.  With no other birders there at the time with whom to share information, that meant I might need to move from spot to spot to keep an eye on all its possible perches.  I decided to start in the backyard and take it from there.

In the first several minutes there was a fair amount of activity with a number of Chickadees and Titmice coming to the feeder, and several Blue Jays in trees just outside the yard.  But no sign of the target bird.  I then walked to the front yard and spent a few minutes scanning the trees and nearby brush, but again no Oriole.  So it was back to the backyard to wait some more.  I had now been there about 30 minutes, and was wondering if this would be a case of “déjà vu all over again” - remembering the missed Bullock's in NH in 2002, as well as the one in CT that required 3 different tries before I finally saw it.  Then I noticed some movement of a larger bird in the trees behind the yard.  I quickly put my binocs on the bird and there it was – the Bullock’s Oriole!  It eventually made its way to the backyard and flew into an apple tree there.  It hopped over to one of the two apples still hanging on the tree, and ate on it for several minutes, giving nice views.  After a couple minutes it flew around to the side yard out of view.  A bit later it reappeared, and flew to the ground in the backyard eating on some apples that had fallen from the tree.  A few seconds later it flew up into the trees behind the yard, then flew farther back into the woods, and then out of site.

Bullock’s Oriole was #358 for me in NH, and a remarkable 4th new statebird for NH in 2015.  With a total statelist of only 400 in NH, I’ve now seen nearly 90% of the total list – by far my best list of any state.  NH was my 4th state where I’ve seen this species as a rarity (along with MA, CT and PA), as well as 17 more expected states out west (see my statebird map below).


No comments:

Post a Comment