Thursday, December 24, 2015

Ash-throated Flycatcher and Townsend’s Solitaire in Southwestern CT, along with a Common Murre in NY, December 2015



I don’t often go after rarities in southwestern CT since that part of the state is well beyond my self-imposed 2-hour driving limit for chasing.  So when an Ash-throated Flycatcher was reported from Sherwood Island State Park in Westport (nearly 3 hours away), I didn’t get too excited about it.  But then the bird continued to be reported on a nearly daily basis, and I had a couple trips to New York City coming up.  The bird would have to continue for nearly 3 weeks, but if it did, I could give it a try in route to or from the City.  As my NYC trip neared, the bird was still being reported.  So I reached out to Tina Green who visited the park almost daily, and got excellent micro-directions.  I was all set – assuming the bird continued that is.

The night before I was heading back from NYC on my first trip, I checked the listserve and the bird was indeed seen that day.  And there was also a sighting of Townsend’s Solitaire that day from nearby Cos Cob, CT.  I needed both birds for my CT list, and both were only a couple miles off of I-95, so it would be great to try for both.  But I only had an hour of spare time, and who knew if the Solitaire would be re-found.  So I decided to just try for the reliable Ash-throated.  Plus I had a couple more trips to NYC in the next 2 weeks, so maybe I could still try for the Solitaire on one of those trips if it continued.

I arrived at Sherwood Island State Park and took the short walk to the spot where the Flycatcher had been reported.  I quickly found the cork tree which was the bird’s favorite perch, but the tree was empty.  Then just a minute later I noticed some movement in the trees a short distance away – it was the Ash-throated Flycatcher.  The bird continued to fly-catch in those trees over the next several minutes.  I got these passable phone-scoped photos of the bird during my brief stay. 



I now have Ash-throated in 5 New England states as a rarity (just need it in VT), along with 8 states in its regular range in the southwest (see my statebird map below).


That was easy!  Although I had just an hour to look for the bird, I only needed 10 minutes.  And just as I was leaving the park I got a text that the Solitaire was re-found in Cos Cob.  Did I have enough time to try for that one too?  Maybe if I had gotten the word earlier I could have stopped at Cos Cob first, then headed east to Sherwood Island while heading home.  But now I didn’t have enough time to double back to the west and still get home in time.  So I would have to be content with just getting the Flycatcher for my CT list.

Then again, with 2 more trips to NYC in the next 10 days, maybe I could try for the Solitaire after all.  I kept watching the listserve and the Solitaire did continue from the same suburban neighborhood in Cos Cob, so there was hope.  Although the next trip to NYC included a drive down I-95 (within a couple miles of the Solitaire), I had no free time.  And the trip back included a crossing of Long Island Sound on the Orient-New London ferry instead of a drive up I-95.  So no chance to try for the Solitaire on that trip.  Though I did find a rare Common Murre at the Orient, NY dock as #279 for my NY statelist – my 5th northeast state for this species.  (Sure would have rather seen it in CT waters though!)


I only had one more trip to NYC, but at least on the way down I had 2-3 hours of spare time to try for the Solitaire.  I arrived in Cos Cob at 9:15 after enduring some miserable rush hour traffic heading into the City.  Soon after I got out of the car I heard what I thought was the Solitaire.  The bird had been calling quite a bit over the last several days, so I initially thought I had the bird.  But the call wasn’t quite right, so I tracked down the source of the call to be sure.  It turned out to be a Blue Jay giving a very good imitation of the Solitaire’s repeated “whee” call note.  Over the next 30 minutes I heard that Blue Jay give the Solitaire call two more times.  I bet birders had been playing a lot of tape of the Solitaire’s call in the area, and the Blue Jay had added it to its repertoire.

I had now spent 30 minutes in the area where the Solitaire had been seen most often, but the closest I came to getting the Solitaire was to hear a Blue Jay imitate its call.  So I walked a short distance to the south to expand my search area.  Just then I heard a Solitaire call from the original area.  It only called 5 times, though this time it sounded like the real thing.  But could I be sure?  I quickly headed back to where I thought I heard the call, but neither heard nor saw the bird.  A few minutes later I heard the call again – this time repeated non-stop.  And there was the Solitaire, nicely perched near the top of a nearby deciduous tree.  It flew in undetected.  Not sure I would have noticed it if it hadn’t been calling.  I took this phonescoped photo of this most cooperative bird.


CT was my 6th state for Townsend’s Solitaire as a rarity (5 in the northeast plus IL), along with 12 states out west.


The Flycatcher and the Solitaire were #324 and #325 for my CT list – excellent additions to my list from a part of the state where I rarely bird.  Sure was nice for these rarities to hang around long enough for me to see them as part of pre-arranged trips to and from NYC.  (As I write this both birds are still being seen daily - now 37 days for the Flycatcher and 19 days for the Solitaire.)  Unfortunately I wasn’t as successful with a “Western” Flycatcher seen for 2 days in Branford, CT – I was there on the third day.

No comments:

Post a Comment