Saturday, April 9, 2016

California Gull, Hammonasset Beach State Park, Madison, CT, March 2016



The CT coastline has numerous great spots for “gulling”.  And one of the best times to go gulling on the coast can be when plankton feeding occurs in spring.  Each spring I anxiously watch the CT listserve hoping for sightings of large flocks of Bonaparte’s which sometimes include a Little Gull – the last regular rare gull I need for my CT statelist.  However, chasing after spring rare gulls on the CT coast can be challenging - the best plankton feeding spots seem to vary somewhat from year to year, and a good day at one spot one day could be followed few gull sightings at that same location the next day.  Hence a key reason I still haven’t successfully chased after a Little Gull in CT.

The spring 2016 CT gull sightings started not with large numbers of Bonaparte’s but instead a report of a Mew Gull at Hammonasset Beach State Park.  I had a Mew Gull in Southbury, CT in 2014 so didn’t need to chase this one for my CT statelist.  But then a second Mew was spotted, and this one was the first CT record of the even rarer mainland US subspecies some call a “Short-billed” Gull.  As a candidate for a split someday I was tempted to go chase after it.  But free time was limited so I decided to forego the chase.

Then the next day a somewhat cryptic e-mail was posted on the CT listserve titled – “Cali-type Gull Hammo-3:50”.  I didn’t recognize the observer’s name, and no details were included, so didn’t want to get too excited about the bird just yet.  Then Mark Szantyr posted that he saw the photo and confirmed the ID as the first CT state record of California Gull.  But the bird was not refound later that day in the large flock of 4-5,000 gulls plankton feeding at Hammo, so I questioned how chaseable it might be.  That is until the next day when the California was spotted early and often throughout the day, along with the continuing Mew Gulls.  And numerous photos of the immature California were posted, improving my chances of being able to pick out the target bird in a big gull flock.  The chase was on.

The next day I was able to take some time off and was at Hammonasset by mid-morning.  When I arrived there were at least a dozen birders looking out on the gull flock on the water and the beach.  Unfortunately there were no more than just 150 birds in view.  And the birders reported that although the California had been seen earlier in the morning, it had not been spotted for some time.  Now with a much smaller flock of gulls at Hammo I worried that the target bird had moved on with the rest of the flock to a better feeding location.  Was this another example of the plankton feeding locations changing on a daily basis?  A couple birders kept trying to turn immature Ring-bills into the California with no luck.  Then someone mentioned to check out another bird at the back of the flock.  I panned in that general direction and instantly picked out the target California Gull.  I guess didn’t need to stress out after all.

I stayed at the park for the next several hours, and the California was seen off and on much of that time.  And most of the time the bird was quite cooperative, allowing me to get these passable phonescoped photos.





Unfortunately the Mew Gulls did not return while I was there, but at least I don’t need that one for my CT statelist based on the present counting rules.  Though I still need Little Gull for CT.

California Gull was #327 for my CT statelist.  And it was my second New England state for this species – I found an adult California in MA back in 1994.  Plus of course I’ve seen it in numerous western states (see my statebird map below).


No comments:

Post a Comment