Sunday, December 24, 2017

Shiny Cowbird, Bethesda, MD – First State Record, December 2017


Having grown up in MD my state list is pretty good at 329.  And with relatives still in MD, visits with the family can sometimes provide opportunities to add to that list, though target birds pretty much have to be rarities at this point.  A few days before a December trip to Baltimore I set up a Maryland Needs Alert in eBird.  Several species popped up, though most were too far away to try for given my small windows of available time.  But then at the bottom of the list I noticed numerous posts of a Shiny Cowbird being seen in Bethesda, MD, just north of DC.  Reports went back at least 3 weeks so the bird appeared to be rather reliable.  And Bethesda wasn’t too far from the BWI Airport.  So with a species as rare as this one (a first record for MD), I made plans to make a quick stop to try for the Cowbird before heading to the airport on my last day in MD.

Now I needed to compile the micro-directions.  The Cowbird was being seen in a small suburban neighborhood, and many sightings were of the bird perched high in a tree.  In most cases the Shiny Cowbird was associating with groups of Brown-headed Cowbirds.  And perhaps most importantly, recent sightings mentioned that the target bird was re-growing all of its tail feathers, so its tail was now much shorter than normal.  Several specific locations were mentioned, though access appeared to be limited.  Several posts mentioned seeing the bird from the driveway of the birder who first spotted the bird at 9901 Parkwood.  And 4804 Edgefield was mentioned several times.  Plus a feeder in the front yard of 9918 Parkwood was mentioned once.  So my plan was to at least bird these 3 locations, keeping an eye out for Cowbirds in general.  And needless to say my goal was to not get arrested peering into suburban backyards with binoculars.

I arrived at the neighborhood midday and instantly spotted 3 birders up ahead on Parkwood.  They mentioned that the bird had been seen a few minutes earlier, but was not visible now.  They also suggested that going over to Edgefield was best at this point.  A minute later I parked on Edgefield and found another small group of birders in front of 4804 Edgefield.  They provided a similar story – they had the bird earlier but not at the moment.  As we all waited for the Shiny Cowbird to reappear, I began to see lots of activity around this house.  Several times small groups of Brown-headed Cowbirds would fly in above the house, and then drop down in the backyard.  There must be feeders in the back, but the yard was not visible from the road.  Now I started to understand why many of the sightings were of the bird high in trees – it must be flying in from elsewhere, perching momentarily above the feeders when birders spot it, then dropping out of sight to feed.

We continued to wait for at least 30 minutes, and had lots of activity but now Shiny Cowbird.  I decided to walk over to Parkwood to see if my luck was any better there, trading cellphone numbers with a birder remaining at Edgefield in case the bird was spotted.  When I got to 9901 Parkwood I noticed a feeder in the back yard with a few House Sparrows and 1 Brown-headed Cowbird, but little activity in general.  Then I walked to 9918 Parkwood and found the feeders in the front yard but there were no birds at all.  So I returned to 9901 Parkwood to wait a bit longer there.  A couple minutes later a flock of about 10 Cowbirds flew in to a tree a short distance away – could the Shiny be in this group?  I scanned the group but they all looked like Brown-headed’s.  One by one they dropped down out of view into a thick stand of bamboo apparently near the backyard of 4804 Edgefield.  With just a couple birds left from that flock still perched in the tree I noticed that one bird had a short tail – and it was all dark including its head – I had the Shiny Cowbird!  Just then it too dropped down into the bamboo.  I called the birder back at Edgefield and told him I just had the bird, and it likely just dropped into their general location.  He responded by saying that they got access to the backyard with all the feeders so they would be waiting for it.

I quickly ran over to 4804 Edgefield and found out that one of the birders talked to the homeowner, and she was fine with us sitting in her back yard to watch the feeders.  I joined 3 other birders behind the house and found multiple feeding stations full of seed.  Within a minute a flock of Cowbirds dropped in and one was the Shiny Cowbird.  The flock was very skittish, but the target bird kept returning, and each time the easiest way to pick it out among its Brown-headed cousins was to look for the Shiny’s shorter tail. 

One of the birders I met there, Dave Brenneman, had a monster lens and he took numerous shots of the bird.  He shared this one with me, providing great comparisons with a male Brown-headed, not only showing the iridescent purple head of the Shiny Cowbird, but also its shorter tail. 


A couple minutes later I was back in my car and heading to the airport with plenty of time to spare.  On my way I reflected on what turned out to be a very satisfying chase – finding the target bird after about an hour’s search, and eventually getting great looks at an extreme rarity. 

That was my third sighting of Shiny Cowbird in the ABA area – I’ve also seen it in south FL and in LA where it is reported with increasing frequency these days.  All our local passerines need is yet another species of parasitic Cowbird to contend with.

No comments:

Post a Comment