Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Yellow Rail But No Other Targets, Southwestern, LA – November 2017


As my upcoming November business trip to Houston began to take shape it was looking like I might have a free day.  So I decided to take a day of vacation and do some local birding in the area – which would be cheaper than incurring change fees to fly home a day earlier.  However, with some eBird research I wasn’t finding any possible TX statebirds nearby to chase after.  So I set my sights on southwestern LA, and found recent reports of several possible statebirds, many of which were associated with rice harvesting in the Thornwell area.  Specifically quite a number of Yellow Rails were being seen, along with a few American Bitterns (alas I still need this common bird for my LA list).  My first ever Yellow Rails were 2 I saw in AR in October 2000 when I was lucky enough to find a combine harvesting rice.  That was a tremendous day, when I spent almost the entire time walking alongside the combine, also finding 2 extremely rare Black Rails, and hundreds each of Soras and Virginias.  With those fond memories I was really looking forward to another opportunity to watch rice being harvested.

Now I had to do my detailed research.  I noticed that several of the eBird reports were from Donna Dittmann and Steve Cardiff.  In February 2017 I birded in their Baton Rouge yard to add Calliope Hummingbird and Purple Finch to my LA list.  So I reached out to them again, this time to get advice on their Rails.  Unfortunately it turns out that they had coordinated in advance with a rice farmer to be at his fields when he was harvesting, so instead I would have to drive around the fields in the area and be lucky enough to find a field that was being harvested when I was there.  That approach worked for me in AR – hopefully it would work for me in LA as well.

Rice harvesting doesn’t happen until later in the day to allow for the morning dew to evaporate, so I could make at least one other stop before heading to the Thornwell rice fields.  I decided to start at dawn at Peveto Woods - a remnant patch of woods along the coast which can be a great migrant trap.  There had been several recent reports of late fall warblers there that I still need for LA.  There were also a number of recent records of Franklin’s Gulls at various spots along the coast.  And then there was a spot not too far away in Calcasieu Parish where a pair of White-tailed Hawks had been seen for nearly a month.  So along with watching the rice harvest, that would make for a full day of birding (and driving).  My plans were set.

I arrived at Peveto Woods right at sunrise and began to bird the woodlands.  There were good numbers of birds present, but all were wintering birds.  I found several Orange-crowned and Yellow-rumped Warblers, but couldn’t find any late migrants.  A quick stop at the nearby beach yielded a nice Piping Plover, and a couple Western Willets, but nothing else.  So with visions of flushing Rails dancing in my head (it wasn’t yet the season for sugarplum visions), I headed out of Peveto to make my way to Thornwell.  Along the way I stopped at each flock of Gulls and Terns I spotted roosting along the coast to look for Franklin’s, but with no luck.  Things had to pick up when I got to Thornwell, right?

As I neared Thornwell I started to see numerous rice fields, though almost all had already been harvested.  As I got closer I spotted a large flock of white Geese flushing from a field in the distance - I guessed there could be 1,500 birds in the flock, which included a number of White-fronts.  But rather than stopping to check out the Geese, I needed to focus on finding a rice field being harvested.  As I started to crisscross the back roads I began to find quite a number of fields that hadn’t yet been harvested.  But I couldn’t find any activity in any of the fields.  I spent at least an hour driving around the area, checking out fields along maybe 15 miles of roadways, but with no luck.  At 11:30 I had to stop to take a work call, so I pulled over at what seemed to be a nice location and began the call.  Just then I noticed a small Flycatcher fly from a nearby tree – it was an immature Vermillion Flycatcher.  Not a new LA statebird (it was my 3rd for LA), but a nice bird nonetheless.  I got this record phonescoped shot of the bird, which had a yellow belly rather than a more typical pink or red.



My call ended a few minutes later, and I decided to call it quits on looking for a rice field being harvested.  Just then a large tractor appeared over a small rise in the distance.  It was apparently cutting the tall grass growing in this field.  I put my binocs on it and noticed its tires were wet.  Maybe this field would be wet enough to harbor a few Rails too.  So I trained my binocs on the tractor as it cut the field.  Soon a large flock of Cattle Egrets appeared out of nowhere to feed in the newly cut grass.  Then three Caracaras dropped in to eat.  Then I spotted a small dark Rail fly out of the grass which I think was a Sora – a quick 2-second view and the distance made for a difficult ID.  A minute later a couple more likely Soras flew out.  And just then a Rail flew out which luckily fluttered low over the grass for maybe 10 to 15 seconds.  At one point as it banked a bit I caught flashes of white wing patches – it was a Yellow Rail.  Not the best of views, but good enough to check it off.  I’m glad it wasn’t a life bird – I’ve also heard it as a nester in MN and of course saw the migrants in the rice fields in AR.

The tractor disappeared over the small ridge and headed to the north.  I tried to re-find it but could never get close enough to it to watch for more Rails.  The consolation was while looking for the tractor I found another large flock of Geese and a flock of dark Ibis that included both Glossy and White-faced.  I decided to call it quits, with a nice list of 45 species for the area, including a wild guess of 3,000 Snow Geese, along with at least 5 Ross’ and 500 White-fronts, and an estimated 300 dark Ibis.

Next I was off to try for the White-tailed Hawks.  Recent sightings had mentioned both an adult and an immature, and eBird reports seemed to suggest they were pretty regular in the area.  So I was optimistic.  When I arrived I quickly found a pair of large raptors perched in the distance in low trees along the back side of a cattle pasture.  Very typical habitat for White-tails, and typical roosts as well.  The one bird was facing me, and with scope views I could see it was all white below.  I was about to tick it off as a White-tailed, but decided to get better views first.  A few minutes later it took off and one of the first things I spotted was white at the base of the tail – but then I saw red nearer the tip.  It was a Krider’s Red-tailed Hawk – reasonably similar to an adult White-tailed, but no cigar.  Later the other perched raptor flew from its perch and it too was a Red-tailed.  I then went to another part of the prairie and spotted an all dark Buteo with its back to me.  I instantly thought it was the immature White-tailed, but with a scope view I saw white feathering on the shoulders.  Soon it turned a bit and I could see it was a rare Harlan’s Red-tailed Hawk.  I spent at least another hour in the area, spotting other Red-tails, several Harriers and Turkey Vultures, but no White-tailed Hawks.  Although I wouldn’t question anyone’s IDs, I wouldn’t be surprised if a few birders spotted the Krider’s thinking it was the adult White-tail, and the Harlan’s might be the immature White-tail, especially if they were distant.

It was a long day which yielded just one new LA statebird, giving me 276 for my state list.  And although I hoped for more, I ended up with a nice tally of 90 species for the day.  Plus finding the Vermillion Flycatcher and the Harlan’s and Krider’s Red-tails was fun.  If only I had found a rice field being harvested…

No comments:

Post a Comment