Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Storrs, CT, January 2019


The last time I was at the University of Connecticut campus in Storrs was November 28, 2010 when I successfully chased after a Northern Lapwing - a life bird for me at the time.  The Lapwing was foraging in the fields around Horsebarn Hill.  Little did I know that I would be back to that same spot some 8 years later chasing after another rarity – Yellow-headed Blackbird.  The Blackbird certainly wasn’t a lifer, but it was somewhat of a nemesis bird for me in CT, having chased after this species in CT three times before.

 It all started on New Year’s Day when a post came across that a Yellow-headed Blackbird was found in flock of Starlings and Cowbirds at Horsebarn Hill.  I couldn’t break free that day, nor the next for that matter.  But luckily the bird was re-found multiple times on the 1st and 2nd.  Several posts included location details, and even though my last trip there was more than 8 years ago, I could picture exactly where the Blackbird was being seen.  The bird was seen in flocks of Starlings and Cowbirds, with posted photos showing the birds in pasture grasses which cover many acres throughout this area – the same grasslands that attracted the Lapwing back in 2010.

With morning and late afternoon appointments on the 3rd, I had a 2-hour window to look for the Blackbird in the early afternoon.  I got out of my morning appointment and checked my e-mails for updates – unfortunately there was just one post and it was from a birder asking for updates.  There were no reports of the bird from that morning at all.  Ugh…  But I decided to head to Storrs anyway to give it a try.

As I pulled onto Horsebarn Hill Road I quickly spotted a large flock of Starlings milling around the large red barns on the right side of the road.  Since the posts had mentioned mixed Cowbird/Starling flocks I was hopeful that I wouldn’t have to wade through the many thousands of Starlings at the barns.  But at the edge of the parking lot I saw a small group of Cowbirds foraging in the grass, so I spent a bit of time looking through that flock.  But it was just Cowbirds.  Hopefully the bird was in another flock farther to the east.

I drove a bit farther along the road and noticed a couple birders out in the field.  Maybe they had the Blackbird - “bird the birders” as I always say.  I walked over to them and sure enough they had just seen the target bird in a flock of Cowbirds.  So the Yellow-headed Blackbird was still around, but the Cowbird flock was no longer in the field.  Now we had to re-find the flock. 

With just a bit of scanning I spotted a flock of about 500 Cowbirds a short distance away.  Was this the right flock?  We anxiously looked through the birds as they fed in the field.  But the grasses were quite tall, mostly obscuring the birds as they foraged.  They were almost constantly in motion, so I mostly watched as birds popped out of the grass to move to other parts of the flock.  As the seconds grew into minutes, I flashed back to my previous trips looking for Yellow-headed Blackbird in CT, spending hours poring through blackbird flocks unsuccessfully searching for patches of yellow in a sea of all dark birds.  But just then I did indeed spot a flash of yellow – I finally had the Yellow-headed Blackbird!  I continued to bird the area for the next hour, and although the cowbird flock was in view most of that time, I only re-spotted the Yellow-headed a few times, and only had it in view for perhaps a total of a minute.  You wouldn’t think it would be that difficult to spot, but in all fairness this was a female or immature so the yellow was limited and wasn’t that bright.  Plus there was no white in the wings to look for in flight.

I took a few photos of the Cowbird flock with my iPhone, including this one through my windshield from the warmth of my car.


I didn’t realize it until I looked at the photo on my computer, but amazingly I was lucky enough to snap the shot when the Yellow-headed was visible near the right side of the flock.  Here’s a cropped version of the previous photo.


And all of these sightings were within a couple hundred yards from the spot where I had the Lapwing in 2010.

As a side note - a photographer from the Willimantic Chronicle was at the site as well, taking a couple pictures of the blackbird flock as well as the birders - 


My 5 minutes of fame I guess. 

Yellow-headed Blackbird was number 333 for my CT state list.  As shown in my statebird map below, I’ve now seen this species in the east as a rarity in 4 states (FL, CT, MA, and NH), and throughout almost all of its normal range in the central and western US.  The 3 cross-hatched states are the last ones in that regular range (though barely) where I still need this species.


No comments:

Post a Comment