Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Golden-winged Warbler, Greenville Watershed, SC, September 18, 2021

I’ve been participating in the Greenville County Spring and Fall Migration Counts for a couple years now.  On each count I’ve covered some excellent birding spots in northern Greenville County just across the line from NC.  But this year I’ve been focusing on my Polk and Rutherford, NC County lists so I hated to pull myself away from those counties near the peak of migration time.  But I needed to honor my commitment to the Greenville County Fall Migration Count, so I began to plan for the Count.  Although the hope as always was to find a new SC statebird, there were now very few possible targets left in the upstate of SC, and all are quite rare.  For flycatchers I need Olive-sided, Willow, and Alder.  And for warblers I need Golden-winged, Mourning and Connecticut.  Like I said, all are pretty rare.  Though this year has been pretty good for Golden-winged in western NC, so perhaps that one had my greatest chances.

The most notable part of my Count territory is the watershed area for the Greenville reservoir.  This spot has tremendous deciduous woodland habitat – some of the highest elevation woodlands in SC.  There are just 2 roads that wind through this habitat.  My greatest bird numbers are along Saluda Road, principally because the road has next to no traffic and lots of opportunity to pull over or even just stop while on the road.  The other road I bird in the area is Old US Highway 25, which has a little more traffic and fewer places to pull over, so my tally along this road is typically a bit lower. 

I started this year’s Fall Migration Count shortly before dawn right at the NC/SC stateline and quickly got a Screech Owl to respond to tape, followed by a Great Horned.  And there were a number of pre-dawn call notes for Swainson’s Thrush so I was off to a good start.  But soon after I started my daytime birding the woods became very quiet, and I saw next to no birds moving.  I completed the entire 4-mile length of Saluda Road and only had one small pocket of migrants, unfortunately finishing my coverage of that road in record time.

I then turned onto Old US Highway 25 and started the climb uphill.  Soon thereafter I ran into a small wave of migrants moving through the woods, though nothing special.  Then just 50 yards farther up the road another little wave.  Things were starting to pick up.  On the next stop I spotted a couple birds in the understory across the road.  First I picked up a Cape May and then a Tennessee.  Then I got a quick glimpse of a bird with a black throat patch and mask.  Could it be a Golden-winged?  And then with a closer look I saw the characteristic golden wing patches.  I indeed had a Golden-winged Warbler!  Quite unexpected, especially on a day with so few migrants.  But as I said earlier, it has been a good fall for them in western NC. 

Golden-winged Warbler was #290 for my SC state list.  My short list of possible targets in the SC Upstate just got one shorter.

My statebird map for this species is inserted below – states where I’ve seen it in its regular range are in blue, cross-hatched states are those where I still need it in its normal range, and I’ve seen it in NH (in brown) as a rarity.  Although Golden-winged is possible as a migrant or breeder throughout much of the east, this has been a pretty elusive species for me, especially more recently given its decreasing numbers in a lot of areas.



No comments:

Post a Comment