Thursday, October 21, 2021

One Expected, and One Unexpected, Statebird, Carver’s Gap, Carter County TN, September 28, 2021

Red Crossbills are regular in eastern TN along the TN/NC stateline.  But as is always the case with Crossbills, their distribution and abundance is highly dependent on the quality of the local cone crop.  Back in August 2021 I made my first attempt to find them in TN in Unicoi County but couldn’t reach the location where they were being reported at the time due to poor road conditions.  Then in September I started seeing numerous reports from Carver’s Gap, some mentioning how great the local cone crop was.  It was sounding like I had another location with chaseable Red Crossbills worth a trip into the mountains.

But before I made my final plans I needed to see if I might have other targets nearby.  I need quite a number of regular passerine migrants for my TN list, and several were being seen at scattered locations in eastern TN.  There were a couple hotspots in the general area of Carver’s Gap with multiple reports of my migrant targets, but because the route through the mountains was on very slow twisty turny roads, driving times to bird both Carver’s Gap and migrant hotspots in the same day were excessive.  So the migrant spots would have to wait for a future trip.

The next issue I needed to tackle while planning my trip was to make sure I could tell which state the Crossbills would be in if I was lucky enough to find them.  It turns out that the Appalachian Trail, the key trail in the area, weaves back and forth from TN to NC.  And even the parking lot at Carver’s Gap was part in TN and part in NC.  I downloaded a couple maps that nicely overlayed the stateline, the AT, and the roads in the area which would be a good tool to tell me which state the birds might be in.  I was all set for my trip.

I left home early in the morning of the 28th to make the roughly 2-hour drive to Carver’s Gap.  As I climbed in elevation nearing the stateline it became increasingly windy.  And as I reached the clearing at Carver’s Gap the winds were howling. 


And just as I was beginning to worry if the strong winds would keep birds from flying around I spotted a Merlin flying low over the site.  That’s one I need in TN, so this was my first test to see if I could tell what state it was in.  I watched if for about 10 seconds, first to my west and then flying out of view to the east.  I happened to be parked almost right on the stateline at the time, so that put the bird first in TN and then in NC.  That was most unexpected!  And I hadn’t even gotten out of the car yet! 

Now it was time to focus on the Crossbills.  I got out of the car and walked toward the west end of the parking lot, putting me firmly into TN.  It was extremely windy in the open, so I took a small trail off the parking lot leading into the protected woods to get out of the wind a bit.  I found a couple migrant warblers though nothing new.  Then just a few minutes after leaving my car I heard the characteristic “kip kip” calls of a Red Crossbill overhead.  That was easy!  Within 10 minutes I had already added 2 new birds to my TN list. 

I joked with myself that maybe I should just quit right then and go home.  But there were a couple migrants moving through the trees so I decided to stay and see what might show up.  Unfortunately, most just passed low overhead without stopping, so I couldn’t come up with any migrants of interest. 

But the Red Crossbill show continued.  I had a flock of 4 birds fly in from NC and land nearby in TN, including one male that perched nicely in the top of a conifer.  Here are 2 shots I took holding my phone up to my binoculars.  What a cone crop!



And just when I thought the Crossbill show was over, a male landed near me on the road shoulder to do some gritting.


 Which allowed me to walk right up to it.

And then a female flew in to join him.


What an amazing Crossbill event!

After about an hour at Carver’s Gap I decided it could be worthwhile to go downhill out of the mountains to try to get out of the wind and look for some migrants.  The winds dropped soon after I left the Gap, and a few stops along the road in good woodland habitat yielded a few warblers but no additional target birds.  The passerine migrants would have to wait for future trips. 

With the addition of Merlin and Red Crossbill my TN statelist is now at 248.  My statebird maps for these two species are inserted below.  The blue-shaded states are those where I’ve seen those species in their regular range, the cross-hatched states are those in the regular range where I still need them, and the tan states are those where I’ve seen them as a rarity.  After two years birding in the area I’ve now seen both species in all the nearby southeastern states.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment